CHAPTER 10: SWEET AND SPICY

"I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine."

-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

---

I can't escape this hell

So many times I've tried

But I'm still caged inside

Somebody get me through this nightmare

I can't control myself

---

So what if you can see the darkest side of me?

No one would ever change this animal I have become

And help me believe it's not the real me

Somebody help me tame this animal

---

I can't escape myself

So many times I've lied

But there's still rage inside

---

Somebody wake me from this nightmare

I can't escape this hell

"Animal I've Become"-Three Days Grace

---

CHAPTER 10

---

It was strange to hear from my father after everything that was going on. Hearing his voice was so grounding. Before I came to school the things I worried about were so trivial, now not so much.

"Hey honey! How are things? Are you behaving yourself by staying out of trouble?" He sounded like he was in his police rover, which is strange. He never called while on duty unless it was important.

"Hey, Pops. I'm really enjoying school here. Everything is going great." I hate lying, but he'd only worry. He already does enough of that on his own.

"That school must be really doing wonders for you. I have to say, I was surprised when I looked at the tuition this morning."

All the possibilities were running through my mind on what that could mean. None of them were good.

"Oh no. What do you mean?"

"Why didn't you tell me you got a scholarship, sweetie? I'm so proud of you. The fact that you're putting yourself out there for your future makes me so happy. I know how much you hate having people read your work. You're doing good."

A scholarship? What is going on?

"Thanks Dad." I was trying to not to appear speechless. "I thought I'd surprise you."

"Well, I better go sweetie. The boss has me working a long shift today. There's been a lot of complaints about animal attacks in the forests."

"Ok, Dad. Please be careful. I love you too."

"That's my job to tell you that." He chuckled. "Talk to you later, kiddo."

I put the handset back in it's housing after hearing the dial tone. Turning around, I checked that I hadn't awoken her. But no movement had been made. She wasn't kidding when she said she slept like the dead.