CHAPTER 6: LILIES LIE FALLEN AMONG THE RYE

"What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff – I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. " J.D Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

---

Back in black

I hit the sack

I've been too long I'm glad to be back

Yes, I'm let loose

From the noose

That's kept me hanging about

I've been looking at the sky

'Cause it's gettin' me high

Forget the hearse 'cause I never die

I got nine lives

Cat's eyes

Abusin' every one of them and running wild

'Cause I'm back

Yes, I'm back

Well, I'm back

Yes, I'm back

Well, I'm back, back

Well, I'm back in black

Yes, I'm back in black

"Back in Black"-AC/DC

---

CHAPTER 6

---

Pounding hammers of construction men were more polite than the experience existing within my head. The slumber I had the night I first became a part of these dorms was the most riveting. I felt like I had been reincarnated. That must have been a temporary, because right now I felt exactly how I looked. Which, from the reflection in my computer screen looking back at me, that was death. Despite what little sleep I had received. Sullen eyes rimmed with red, and highlighted with whitish grey skin. The reflection was viewed with eyes larger and a more dilated pupil than normal. But what did I expect?

My throat was dry and lumpy as I swallowed to find enough spit in my dehydrated mouth as I attempted speech.

Swarms of frightened students screamed loud pitches similar to the breaks of Dad's oldsmobile. They stampeded and dissipated. Leaving the fog in thickening swirls. It kept replaying in my mind over and over again. What was worse than trying to avoid pushes and shoves, was avoiding the stench of blood. A stench that I don't doubt for one moment, no one else could smell.

She had been at such a large distance, but I could feel her life force dwindling down to a nothingness. It was tragic. Although, it had been a simple accident, that didn't take away from the image now etched into my mind.

The fall hadn't even been that far, but it still was enough to kill her almost instantly. There hadn't been any suffering at least.

After the dispersion I ran to my room with my new acquaintances Perry and Lafontaine. Perry was apparently my floor don. That would explain the authoritative resemblances in her personality. They both made sure that I was ok, before going off to their own rooms. Being ok was sort of relative at this point. We were all too shaken up to even register what had taken place.