Aloofness

-noun

the quality or state of being distant, cold, or uninterested;

-

Baekhyun sat up from his hospital bed, squinting his eyes from the brightness of the lights and white walls. He spun around to look at his stiff figure on the bed, his eyes trailing towards the figure beside him, shaking tremendously.

Before he could take a look at her face, a warm hand greeted him first as he came face to face with a tall male with black hair and pouty lips stretched into a smile.

"Hyung! It's been so long since I've last seen you," the unrecognizable male chirped happily, "You don't remember, do you?". Baekhyun nodded confusedly, searching his mind for anything about this male.

The unknown male smiled happily as he tapped Baekhyun's forehead and the memories rushed into the latter's mind in a quick pace.

"Annyeong, Baekhyun. I'm your angel and according to your particulars, you're older than me," the same male said, "Can I call you hyung?"

Baekhyun smiled gently and nodded, before he gave a questioning look towards his angel. The male stared back, equally confused before widening his eyes and scratching his nape with a sheepish smile.

"My name is Chanyeol, but you call me Yeollie." He said, beaming his pearly white teeth.

Baekhyun's eyes snapped up in realization, whispering two words in awe, "Yeol, it's really you." Chanyeol shrugged it off casually, pulling the former along to the hospital entrance hastily.

Chanyeol brushed his fingers along the shimmering glass of the hospital doors as a simply decorated translucent flyway landed itself at his feet. Chanyeol nudged Baekhyun, signaling it was time to go.

Baekhyun sighed as he thought of that girl, wanted so much to remember her, but he knew it was not possible. He searched his memories once again, causing a heavy ache to weave into his mind before he softly muttered an apology.

As they shot upwards into the sky, the crushing weight of disappointment and sadness filled Baekhyun up as he realized how young he actually was, and how much so he wanted to know who he died for.

As the flyway stopped above a cloud, Baekhyun stepped out and slid down a thin golden bar, landing on grassy fields before he dusted off dirt from his body. Chanyeol followed suit as they both entered a dimly lit room.

"Hyung, what do you remember about yourself?" Chanyeol spoke, suddenly becoming serious. "My name, what killed me, my age and you." The former replied.

"Have you," Chanyeol hesitated, "found out about the girl?" Baekhyun raised an eyebrow and shook his head solemnly, wondering exactly how much that female meant to him.

"That girl... is your destiny. But a curse was placed on the both of you, causing one of you to die each life you had at the age of nineteen." Chanyeol gritted his teeth, seemingly angry at someone.

"So she and I are fated to be together-" Baekhyun inquired before he got cut off.

"You're not just fated to be together, Baekhyun. You two... are soulmates." Chanyeol quietly replied, "She died twice before and you died once. But as long as you don't remember her, she'll forget you as well, the only thing she remembers will be what you know."

Baekhyun's mind spun with such a force at the sudden news as their memories hit his mind in a swift and harsh manner that Baekhyun leaned over, resting on a wall.

"Don't tell me anymore, Yeol." Baekhyun replied before stalking out of the house in a quick manner.

Baekhyun sighed as he disappeared from the house and massaged his head, trying to soothe the ache forming. Chanyeol's last words resonated in his head as he walked, confusing him even more.

"Hyung! Fate... is going to be changed this time!"

-

Eunhye's eyes flickered open as she miraculously found herself on her hospital bed and not beside Baekhyun's body. Soon, Luhan walked into the room and jumped back in fright as he saw Eunhye sitting up and glaring at him.

"Why am I here?" Eunhye questioned.

"Because you're a patient?" Luhan inwardly snickered.

"I mean, I fell asleep beside Baekhyun didn't I?" She replied.

"Baekhyun?" Luhan raised an eyebrow, "There wasn't any person like that."

Eunhye's eyes widened as she frantically tried to describe Baekhyun's appearance, realising she couldn't. Her memories of them were vague, Baekhyun's face always fuzzy in them.

Then, she realized that she was the only one who knew about his existence. The only one who remembered vaguely. The only one who knew about their fond memories.

The.

Only.

One.