Chapter Five: Growing Up

Okay, now this chapter is going to be sad, depressing, and I am going to get so much hate for this but it's always been on my mind for this story and so. MAJOR FEELS AHEAD. I AM SO SORRY. Now that that is out of the way, on with the story...

-----------------------------------------------------------

  The screen changed again, but this time it was pointed towards the sky with the words, "Five Years Later" visible in gold. The screen panned down on a now nine-year-old Hiccup running through the forest, panting. He kept looking back, as if he was scared but had a huge smile plastered on his face. Hiccup ran towards a tree and grabbed a rope, climbing up it at an almost inhuman rate. He finally reached where he was trying to go, opening a trapdoor before pulling himself up into the room, along with the rope, and quietly shut the door. He slowly moved to the other side of the room and poked the blankets. Jackson's face revealed it's self as he looked at Hiccup. The now ten-year-old looked at his best friend and whispered, "Did she catch you?"
"No, I climbed up here and pulled the rope up. Unless she is a dragon, there is now way she's getting up here."
"Nice, now we wait."
  Hiccup sat down next to Jackson as they watched the door and listened for any sounds. After almost thirty minutes they heard a small child's voice yell, "Okay guys, you win. I'm tired and it's getting dark. Mama and Papa will be mad at us!" Jackson and Hiccup chuckled to themselves. They had won! They opened the door, let down the rope, and climbed down. They both looked at the now four-year-old girl glare at them. "That's not fair! Climbing into your treehouse is against the rules, so..." She ran at Hiccup and poked him. "You're it!" She yelled before running off towards their village. Jackson quickly followed suit, not wanting tagged. Hiccup rolled his eyes and ran after them.
  Today had marked two amazing events. Five years ago Jackson and Hiccup had met and quickly become best friends. They were more like brothers now, Thomas and Stella Overland had all but adopted Hiccup as their own son. He was welcomed and loved here. Four years ago, Mayella came into their lives. They all loved her and cared for her, but she absolutely loved running so appropriately, she was nicknamed "Flee" by the boys. Since today was Mayella's fourth birthday, the boys decided to try and do the longest game of Tag between three children because it was her favorite game. It had lasted for almost five hours before they all got tired and decided to return home.
  Jackson and Flee slowly came to a stop at their house, heaving heavily as Hiccup came to a stop behind them, equally out of breath. After a few moments of catching his breath, Jackson opened the door and walked in, noticing the candles were unlit except the ones in the living room, which was very unusual.

  Everyone in the room was getting a bad feeling in their stomachs as they waited for the screen to show what was wrong, though Hiccup smiles to himself sadly, he knew what happened. He missed Jackson and Flee, but they were gone now. That Jack kid doesn't even look like the Jackson he knew. Jack kept staring at the screen, they looked so familiar but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

Jackson stiffened at the oddness of it and put a hand on Flee's shoulder. Hiccup noticed his change in behaviour and immediately went on alert, looking around. Flee became frightened by the boys and the dark house as she hugged Jackson's waist. "Mama? Papa?"  Flee asked quietly. Jackson gently pushed Flee towards Hiccup as he walked inside and grabbed his father's cane. Hiccup grabbed Flee and kept her close as she hugged him. They slowly followed after Jackson into the house and towards the living room. Once they got in there there was no one. Suddenly the front door closed and the children became terrified. Before they could do anything more, Stella, Thomas, and a few other family friends yelled, "Surprise!"