Prologue

Entire Book Quote: "Living forever isn't a gift. It's a tragedy."

I, Taylor Alison Swift, don't remember who my parents are. I was taken away from my parents when I was 3 years old. Kidnappers didn't take me, in fact, it was something far more dreadful. The elixir.

Insane, right? An inanimate object taking a baby away from it's parents, indeed sounds crazy. However, it wasn't the elixir itself, it was the government.

Years before I was born, the world's population was dying. People starving to death, people killing each other, and diseases occurring throughout the world.

Scientists frantically started thinking of solutions. They tried placing disease infested people in quarantine units, but the disease continued to spread. Murders still roamed the streets, killing everyone in sight, and starvation was worsening.

Scientists, from all over the world, came up with one solution; an elixir.

Scientists developed, what they called, a youth elixir. With the youth elixir, the young stay young, the old become young, and death becomes impossible. On the other hand, the elixir causes woman to become barren. (Unable to conceive children.) For many, this elixir is a dream come true, especially for the government, but for me, it's a nightmare.

When the elixir was released into drug stores, the government required both men and woman to take the elixir. A handful of woman refused, but the government basically shoved it down their throats.

The government revoked all the laws claiming "They are no longer necessary, if everyone lives forever." Hospitals no longer exist, restaurants, seatbelts, and anything that involves physical health and safety. Weapons are completely useless, so nobody owns any.

Nothing on earth can die, including plants. Scientists have been watering plants with the elixir for many years now.

However, I can die. I've taken the elixir before, and it has no effect on me. How can I tell? Because when others scrape their knees or get hurt, they recovery immediantly. It takes me a week or two to recover, depending on the wound. I also get hungry, and tired unlike everybody else.

I'm suprised nobody noticed yet. I'm clumsy and get hurt all of the time. Maybe because none of them know what a scab looks like. Regardless, I need to be careful. If the government finds out that I'm immune to the elixir, it's hard to tell what they would do.

Living forever isn't a gift. It's a tragedy.

The elixir ruined us. It runied America. It ruined the world and it's my job to stop it.