Chapter 14

Long, cold, beads of sweat ran down the back of Tord's neck. Here he was, hair untidy, wrinkled uniform, and unprepared in almost every necessary aspect. With none other than one of the head officials themselves standing before him with nothing but a face of utter disappointment.

The rest of the soldiers postured themselves and moved to have their backs against the wall. Tom scurried to join them, cupping the butt of his gun in his palm. Unfortunately, as he did so, the gun began to slowly fall forwards, and before Tom could stop it, it hit the floor. The clang of the gun echoed loudly a crossed the intensely quiet hallway.

Dahl, who had been walking as slow as molasses down the stretch to meet Tord, stopped to stare at the clumsy fool of a soldier just a few feet ahead of her. Tom's face grew hot with embarrassment as he quickly picked up his gun and resumed his place in line.

Tord massaged the corners of his eyes up to the tip of his nose as he sighed. He too was growing ever more embarrassed over his own men.

Dahl resumed her walk until she stood before Tord, towering a good 6 inches above him. Tord shivered in her shadows wake.

"General Johansen.." She stated, her arms folded behind her back.

"Sergeant Dahl..." Tord replied, staring up at her slightly.

She glanced left and right at the soldiers lining the walls," I understand I have arrived at a quite unexpected and possibly inconvenient time, Johansen, but I must say you haven't made a very good first impression."

Sergeant Dahl was none well for grilling army squadrons for the tiniest of details, and was almost near impossible to impress. That made her presence as the one chosen to evaluate their progression, that much more dampening on the success of the task.

"I see...ma'am, I apologize-" Tord stammered, but was cut off.

"Do not waste your time giving me your petty mumbling and excuses. Focus on making this trip not a waste of my time." Dahl exclaimed, hands placed on her hips.

Tord nodded profusely," yes ma'am, understood. Solute!"

Tord shouted, each soldier somehow gaining an even greater posture and saluting with their right arm. Tom did so as well, eager to restore his impression.

"To the shooting room, now!" Tord ordered

"Sir, yes, sir!" Everyone shouted in unison before turning on their heels and walking in rhythmic lines like a row of toy robots.

Dahl's expression stayed melancholy as Tord began to lead her in the same direction. Paul and Patryk walked a foot or so behind them, giving each other worried glances every now and then.

They reached the room, Tord and Dahl entering first and then the rest of the small army.

"Alright then, show me how you've 'mastered the art of shooting'" Dahl mused sarcastically.

Each soldier gave the person next to them an uncertain glance before retreating to the back of the room to grab one of the nerf guns out of a box.

Dahl sputtered as she watched the full-grown adults grabbed children's toys and began to shoot styrofoam bullets at targets on the wall. Tord was running his hands through his hair, pulling it simultaneously.

"Is this supposed to be some sort of JOKE?!" Dahl spat, each face turning towards her," Or did I just walk into a camp for 5-year-old children?!"

"Well, ma'am, you see... we use these to practice-" one guy tried to speak up, but was sorely interrupted.

"Plastic guns are hardly a substitute for combat! This is combat."

She pulled out a pistol from her belt, holding it upside down as she walks across the room. As she went she began to shoot, startling the nearby soldiers, but each bullet penetrated the inner two circles of each target. The last shot cut through the center of a styrofoam bullet already on the circle. She stepped back, placing the pistol back on her belt.

"War is not a child's game, using plastic toys Johansen. I would've thought that you of all people would know that."

Tom played with the NERF gun in his hands awkwardly. In turn, watching Tord struggle.

Tord simply nodded clenching his right arm. Paul stepped forward, cigar hanging out of his mouth and bouncing as he spoke.

"It was merely a safety probation ma'am. You see, we didn't want to cause any mishaps with guns."

Dahl glared a crossed the room at the man that dared speak up. Paul felt he should back away out of sight again, but he didn't have time to.

"Safety, is not and never will be this organization's first priority. Our priority is to learn to fight and kill, and if that means you get a few boo-boos from training then so be it. Because if you're afraid of that you should just go home before you have to face the real deal because it is NOTHING compared to this."

She was now hovering inches wbove Paul's face, engulfing him in her shadow. He was shaking, not knowing what to say or do. She took a step back, folding her arms behind her back again.

"I'm done here..." she turned, heading towards the door.

Tord walked after her, panicked," Wait no! Give us another chance, we'll show you how-"

"General Johansen! Must I be the one to remind you of the strikes you already have on your record?! You've been given far too many chances lately. And if my word gets through to the Boss about your disappointing performance today you might as well pack your bags now and say goodbye to your status!"

She left, and Tord didn't try to stop her, no one did. The door's slam echoing throughout the room.

Patryk placed a hand on his leader's soldier, "Boss?.." he stared at the pale texture of his face, as he stared onward at the door, unblinking.

Tord's world was crashing around him, and Tom almost pitied him.