Chapter 7

"State your business." The desk clerk said coldly.

The two men fumbled around, bumping each other with their elbows to pass the task of speaking from themselves. It finally landed on the taller of the two. He had a head of golden blonde hair that swayed to one side neatly with gel. His chin was doubled giving him a slightly more ridiculous look. He fiddled with the sleeves of the purple turtleneck he was wearing while speaking.

"We're here t-to see Sergeant Milde.... We're uh... friends of his son..." he stammered, looking down slightly at his shoes. His companion nodded, as if confirming the statement beyond acceptance.

The clerk's expression changed to a more relaxed, but saddened look.

"So you're the poor souls she asked to tell him?" It was more of a statement then a question, but they nodded nonetheless," He's just this way, follow me" The woman retreated from her arm chair and lead them out of the entrance room. The two companions bit their lips nervously and the shorter one rubbed his neck with a sad expression.

The Clerk finally stopped at a door near the end of the hall labeled Sergeant Milde

on a silver plaque. She gave a soft knock and waited.

A deep voice responded,"Who is it?!"

"It's me sir," the Clerk responded," you've got some young men here to speak with you."

There was a slight pause then the same deep voice," Send them in."

The Clerk pushed open the door to reveal the setup inside. It was a similar arrangement to any cliche office room. A desk in the lead of the doorway. A window that should have brought a fresh ray of sunlight into the room only made the room more eerie by only shining small slivers through the blinds. The shorter of the two swallowed making an audible 'gulp' sound. This man had a mess of chocolate brown hair with a soft muzzle on his chin. His green, button up shirt suffering from a similar pulling and twisting.

The Clerk was gone before they could even think about turning back. They both took a shaky step into the room and the door shut on its own accord.

The tall black swivel chair rocked back and forth and spun counter-clockwise to face them. The man had a busy grey mustache under his nose. His face was square and dignified. Any hair he might've had was covered by a sturdy Sergeant hat. His uniform finished off the look nicely. The Sergeant's face changed from a intrigued, scary look to a kind, friendly one in a matter of seconds and he chuckled slightly.

"Aw I know you two! You're my son's friends, yes?" He bellowed, staring them down and keeping his cheery smile.

"Y-yep! That's us sir!" The Chocolate Brunette responded, doing his best to level the Sergeant's enthusiasm.

"You boys don't mean me any harm! I've gotten nothing but news reporters asking about war and politics and how our country is preparing for crap that ain't gonna happen." The Sergeant sighed, leaning back in his chair then straightening up like nothing had happened, " So what can I do for you boys?"

The two companions looked at one another, then the Sergeant. The taller one nudged the shorter, signaling that now it was his turn to talk.

For simplicity I will call them by their actual names. Because if you are reading this you should know who they are.

Eduardo stumbled forward, aimlessly fiddling with his fingers and refusing to make eye contact.

"Well... sir... we are actually here about your son! You see... well... your wife didn't want to um... do this herself... she's still trying to cope with it um...." Eduardo trailed off and the Sergeant once cheery expression was turning into a mix of confused and worried.