Chapter 15

The ceiling fan made its rounds, wafting a cool breeze into the room. It moved slow enough that one could count each blade connected to its axis.

Directly beneath it, a desk. Papers anchored down to keep the breeze from blowing them away, though they still flapped violently.

Tord sat in the chair behind the desk, though "sat" wasn't the best word. He was slouched down so low, you'd only see his spiked orange hair from the other side of the desk. He somehow was managing to turn the chair back in forth as well, with most of his body under the desk.

A small object was pinched between two of his fingers as he looked up at it at different angles. It reflected the light from the burning candle placed in the center of the desk just behind the name flask. His expression was sad, except also void of emotion. It was almost impossible to read him, know what he might be thinking. That was one of his biggest strengths, and greatest faults.

A soft knock came at the door. Tord pulled the coin into his palm and closed his fist around it. He grumbled something Norwegian, that the knocker somehow managed to hear. The door creaked open slowly and Patryk's head popped into the room.

"Uh... I'm sorry for intruding sir," He stepped fully into the room with an awkward stride, closing the door behind him, "but- we haven't seen you come out of your office since yesterday morning."

The clock on the far wall ticked loudly as it read the time 10:45 a.m.

Tord didn't seem to care about the concept of time, though.

"So?" He scoffed, still not bothering to sit up in his chair.

Patryk started playing with his thumbs in a sort of fidgety nervousness, circling them around each other behind his clasped hands.

"Uh- well.. the other soldiers are starting to wonder where you are. And there's been a lot of murmuring after what happened yesterday. They want to know what will happen next-"

Tord rose so suddenly Patryk jumped, recoiling his arms inward as if to somehow defend against an attack. Both Tord's hands were placed firmly on the table. His coat had been removed and hung on the coat-rack by the door. Because of his, Tord's entire bandaged arm was showing, and he was wearing his familiar red hoodie he usually hid underneath the coat.

"So they want to know what comes next do they?" Tord growled, standing back up straight, but still with a deadly glare, "Have them think of it this way. When I get fired-"

"Sir-" Patryk began, but was quickly shot down.

"Quiet!" Tord Seethed, continuing with the same vocal level, "When I get FIRED, since it's only inevitable at this point, I'll be in the open."

"By that, I mean, the government finally has way to take me in. As you know, they've been trying for years, but my army status has protected me. Until..." He reached out a hand towards the burning candle, pinching the small flame with his thumb and forefinger. It hissed quietly, letting up a small wisp of smoke from the burnt wick, "Now.."

"Sir... I'm sure if we just explain to the Board that we should be given more of a chance to prove ourselves..." Patryk spoke his opinion, surprised he had not been interrupted. Tord was too busy moving a coin between his fingers, absentmindedly.

Patryk almost assumed he hadn't even heard before he finally decided to speak.

"Do you know how many times I went to them...on my knees. Begging them, pleading with them, with all I could give. Just to get one more chance. I've reached my final strike Patryk," Tord hadn't made eye contact with Patryk during this whole speech, staring only at the extinguished candle.

This was a man who had finally decided to give up. Moving aside for all the things he was previously holding back.

Patryk had half the mind to call him pathetic, but he obviously decided against it. Instead, posing another question.

"Then what are you gonna do sir?"

There was a brief moment of silence before Tord plopped back down in chair with a new sense of posture.

"... Something I'd never thought I'd have to do... Fetch Tom for me, would you?"

// i'm so sorry it's short, I decided to split up the chapter I'm working on so I could get this out sooner. 
I completely reworked how the story is gonna end, because I was having trouble trying to work with my old idea. I think you guys will like the reworked version 
I'll try and get the next half out soon