How we came to be

Chapter 13

First off, i know it has been months since I last updated, and I am SO sorry to everyone! @acidsoakedcloud, I have finally updated. It’s hard to explain why, I just lost my spark and for a while I just gave up on writing. I have started back up again and I should be updating regularly. Hopefully this chapter makes up for it... hope you guys haven’t given up on me. Enjoy J

My group and i step across the border, entering the United States. ‘Be on guard, guys. I’m not sure how many humans are patrolling the borders and I’m pretty sure if they saw us it would be bad; I don’t feel like killing anyone today.’ I hear a chorus of ‘okay’s in my head and I trot along in the right direction.

We are in North Dakota at the moment, so we need to head west to get into Montana. I feel Josh’s presence in my head and I know he is about to ask me about what just went down with Alpha Nathan. ‘What do you think, Mia? I got a weird vibe from that Alpha; it creeped me out.’

I sigh, ‘I know what you mean, but we will try to avoid him on the way back, just keep running for now; focus on the plan.’  From my peripheral vision I see him nod and we run in silence for a few hours.

When we come upon a small river and a small clearing, I stop my running and everyone halts as well. ‘We can rest here for a few minutes. Shift back.’ I go behind a tree and shift then change. Coming back out, I see everyone else has already returned to human form and Max is busy talking with Josh and Alex. Edward and Jacob are over by the stream getting a drink, and Nick is sitting down next to it; he seems to be deep in thought about something.

I walk over and sit down next to the guys and Max. He squeals when he sees me and jumps into my lap. “Hey there little bud. What are you up to?” I glance over at Alex and Josh and they have a smile on their faces, but I disregard it.

“We were just talking about how you could totally kick butt! Mommy how did is it that you and your wolf so pretty and strong!”

“Max, that is a very long story, are you sure you want to hear all of it?” He nods his head vigorously and I chuckle a bit. “Okay then.”

I readjust him in my lap and I cross my legs. I notice the other boys have meandered over and have sat down with us. I cleared my throat and began; “Long ago, when the first groups of men lived on the Earth, some lived in the forest and sought shelter in the trees. They needed to hunt for food, much like animals, but they quickly realized they also needed another layer to protect them from the cold when the sun went down.

“They began to hunt wolves for food and their fur. This angered the wolves and they decided to retaliate. When night fell, they snuck into the human’s camp and attacked them. They killed many men, women and children. The hunters of the tribe fought valiantly against the wolves, but many fell.

“When only a few men and women were left, a beautiful woman appeared before them halting the fight. All the wolves fell to their stomachs and showed their necks in submission. ‘My children, I am disappointed in your actions. These are living beings that have the right to survive just as you do.’ She turned to address the humans with a look of regret on her face. ‘I am deeply sorry for the trouble my children have caused you. I am the Goddess of the moon and the creator of these creatures. As recompense for their actions, I will give you all a gift. I will bring back your fallen warriors and bestow upon you all the gift of the wolf. I will combine your souls with the souls of these wolves.’

“The Chief spoke to the Goddess, ‘How will this help us, Goddess?’ She smiled warmly at him.

‘At your command, you will be able to bring the wolf to the forefront of your mind and your form will shift from man to wolf.’ The humans gasped out and once again the Chief spoke up, ‘Goddess, this gift, will it pass through our children?’ She nodded her head.