Chapter 11

"This.....this is bad," Ciderheart meowed. Sorreltail brushed beside her.

"It's ok. We.....we should find shelter here," She meowed.

Movement in the bushes caught Cinderheart's eye.

A dark gray pelt leaped.

Cinderheart sprang back.

"Cinderheart!" The tom gasped.

"Graystripe!" Cinderheart meowed.

"You left the Clan to?" Graystripe meowed.

Cinderheart sighed. "Yes," She meowed.

"Awww," Graystripe sighed. "Come with us!" He meowed.

"Graystripe!" Bumblepaw meowed. "I've missed you!" He purred.

Blossompaw came running over. "Graystripe!" She purred.

Heartbeats  later, Graystripe was taking them to their camp.

"So...." Cinderheart began. "Where is this....camp? What's it like?" She meowed.

"We....uhhh......decided to camp up in a tree," Graystripe stammered.

"We're cats, not squirrels," Sorreltail purred.

Cinderheart stiffened as she heard Graystripe's voice. "It's here!" He mewed.

Cinderheart sprang through the bushes and saw a tree. It was tall and had thick branches. Leaves were all around it in a bushy circle. Weak sunlight shone through the thick branches.

"Graystripe!" A voice called.

Three moons had passed. Cinderheart sat quietly beside her daughter Jaypaw and her son Stonepaw

"I don't get why Ashstar would throw us all out like that," Jaypaw was meowing.

"I know! I'm his son!" Stonepaw flicked his tail to his sister. "And you're his daughter!" He growled. He flicked his tail towards Cinderheart. "And you're his mate!" He growled.

Jaypaw sank her claws into the bark of the tree. "And Ashstar fought  me," She put in. 

"And he almost killed you!" Stonepaw growled.

Jaypaw felt her neck fur rise. Then a loud crack split the air. 

Thunder crashed down on the tree that was five fox-lengths away from the tree they were on.

"Run!" A cat wailed.

Jaypaw saw her brother who was crouched on the tree limb. He stared at the orange flames that were feeding off the tree. Jaypaw darted forward and grabbed her brother's scruff. 

"Come on!" She growled. "Get to your paws!" 

Stonepaw shot himself out of her teeth and raced down the tree. Jaypaw leaped down after him.

"Jaypaw! Look out!" Her brother wailed.

Jaypaw saw the tree tipping over. She shot herself forward and tumbled into him. 

The tree, burnt from the fire, was already reaching them.

Jaypaw grabbed her brother by the scruff and shot forward, making her paws carry her as far as they could. She sprang past her Clanmates but then tumbled into a puddle of rain water. She stopped carrying her brother and went on ahead, running, running......running....running.