Chapter 17

Stoneheart walked along the ShadowClan border, the smell of the salty pines spreading on his tongue. He was with a border patrol: Blossomfall, Graystripe, and Dovepaw. 

"Dovepaw, remember that move I taught you," Graystripe told his apprentice. "It will be helpful," He told her.

"Graystripe, I can see ShadowClan's camp! Something's tearing trees down though! I can hear ShadowClan cats talking and they don't know that it's happening!" Dovepaw meowed.

"Wow Dovepaw, what a mind you have!" Graystripe meowed.

"No! Look!" Dovepaw meowed.

Graystripe ignored her and continued on.

Dovepaw growled in annoyance. "Don't you understand? ShadowClan's camp is about to be torn up!" She hissed in Graystripe's face. "Do you want ShadowClan cats to die?" 

Graystripe leaned forward. "Look, Dovepaw, I don't have time for your games. Plus, tonight is the gathering, perhaps we won't see a torn up  ShadowClan-" 

"No!" Dovepaw cut him off. "Look! Strain your eyes through those trees! Do you see that big yellow monster coming towards them?" Dovepaw asked. "We need to help them!"

Graystripe swiped a paw at her ear. "Dovepaw, have some sense," He meowed before walking away. 

Stoneheart took a glance at Dovepaw. "Why don't you believe her?" He asked Graystripe. 

"Listen to the elders' tales of how yellow monsters tore up trees in the old forest, but that was only in the old forest. Twolegs would never tear up this forest," Graystripe meowed.

"But-" Dovepaw mewed. She sighed and dipped her head. 

"Wait," Stoneheart meowed. "Can I stay back with Dovepaw for a moment?"

"Yeah," Graystripe muttered.

As soon as Graystripe left,  Stoneheart leaned down towards Dovepaw. "What do you see?" He asked.

"A yellow thing barging through ShadowClan's territory. It's coming towards their camp!" She then sprang threw the air and landed across the ShadowClan border. She turned around and stared at him. "Come on! Don't you care about ShadowClan at all?" She prompted.

"Dovepaw, I believe you. But ShadowClan are our rivals. We don't help rivals," Stoneheart  meowed.

"How would you feel if they didn't help us?" Dovepaw growled. 

Stoneheart looked at her, then swept his tail across the ground. "Look Dovepaw-" But before he could finish, Dovepaw raced off.

Stoneheart scrabbled over the ShadowClan border. "Wait Dovepaw!" He yowled. "Wait!!" 

He ran through the ShadowClan forest, trying to keep Dovepaw in his sight. "Dovepaw!" He leaped through the air and landed in front of Dovepaw, stopping her. His paws skidded hard on the rough forest floor. 

"Dovepaw!" Stoneheart shouted. "Do you have any idea what you're trying to do?" 

"Yes!" Dovepaw cried. "I want to save ShadowClan!" She tried to throw herself over Stoneheart, but his paw slapped against her belly and she hit the ground. 

Stoneheart pinned the small apprentice down with his paw. "Dovepaw, you don't understand. We could've gotten hurt!" 

"But," Dovepaw sighed. 

Stoneheart looked at her. Waves of her sadness and fear were hitting Stoneheart hard. "Dovepaw, lets just walk there to give them a warning," He meowed to her.