Outcasts

Edd was woken by the sound of Matt leaving, so he followed him into town.

The town was lit by only dim lamps and the moon. Being a siren, Matt had advanced vision in the dark to see in the deep ocean. He walked along the empty streets, his light footsteps echoing off of the buildings. He hummed gently, trying to wake as few people as possible.

He walked through the whole town to a large temple to the towns many Gods and Goddesses. He wasn't a religious person, but sometimes, people will resort to faith in times where they feel they have nothing else. He stepped towards a statue of a religious figure Sirens looked up to. Edd hid behind one of the many large pillars. Matt took a deep breath and started singing a prayer on behalf of his people.

"I don't know if You can hear me
Or if You're even there.
I don't know if You would listen
To a siren's prayer...

Yes, I know I'm just an outcast,
I shouldn't speak to You.
Still I see Your face and wonder,
Were You once an outcast too?"

Edd's eyes followed Matt as he moved between the stained glass windows, the moonlight shining through them. It lit up Matt's face with a wide spectrum of colors.

"God help the outcasts,
Hungry from birth.
Show them the mercy
They don't find on Earth...

God help my people,
We look to You still,
God help the outcasts
Or nobody will..."

Edd followed him, sneaking between the pillars. The entire temple was empty, and his voice echoed off of the tall ceiling. Matt approached a small stand where people wrote prayers onto a piece of paper and sent them to their God or Gods. They were all quite selfish, and Matt took a piece of paper.

"I ask for nothing,
I can get by,
But I know so many
Less lucky than I.

Please help my people,
The poor and downtrod,
I thought we all were
The children of Gods...

God help the outcasts,
Children of Gods."

He wrote one word on the piece of paper: "Peace." He folded the paper and left it at the stand. He made his way to the gates of the temple and started on his way home. Edd stayed a good distance away, and followed him to the house. Edd ran around the back once Matt got inside and snuck in through the window to his room. He laid in his bed, staring at the ceiling. He was silent through the entire night, Matt's prayer in his head.

He stepped out to the living room in the morning, and Matt was sitting by the empty fireplace. Edd walked over to him and gathered some firewood, unknowingly humming the prayer from the night before. Matt looked a bit shocked.

"How do you know that song..?"

"What do you mean?" Edd put the wood into the fireplace and struck some metal and flint to it.

"Did... Did you follow me last night?"

Edd was silent, his face pale. He walked to the coat rack, taking something from his jacket.

"Edd? Did you follow me?"

He groaned, leaning on the wall. "Yes... I'm sorry..."

"Why?" Matt stood and walked over to him.

"I just wanted to make sure you were safe... There are a lot of people out there that would... Go out of their way to hurt you."

"I'll be fine. I know how to defend myself."

"I know, I know... I just worry..." He put on his coat. "I've got to get down to the docks... We're rebuilding the ship, it left a lot of people without work..." He walked to Grace's room and said goodbye to her. Matt opened the door and Edd kissed his cheek then stepped out. He ran to the docks, spotting Tom unloading crates from a cart.

"Tom! Are you going back to sailing?"

"No, I'm not... Just helping rebuild the ship. Thought I should, since it was the first and last ship I was on." He smiled and took some planks out of the crate.

"Alright. Well, what should I do?"

"Um... I could use some help getting these crates unloaded."

"I'm on it." He ran to the cart and grabbed a large crate, nearly tipping over. He brought it to the area with the rest and set it down. Tom walked with him and mumbled something.

"Hmm? Didn't hear you."

"Is... Is Matt okay? I-I feel really bad about what happened yesterday..."

"Yeah, just kinda upset. I think he'll be okay, though." Edd opened one of the crates, unloading the nails for the ship.

Tom froze, staring out at the horizon. Edd looked around and everyone's eyes were fixed on the same thing. "What is it..?" He looked and saw a ship approaching.

"Pirates."