Chapter Twenty-Five

I walked down the hall and stopped in front of her door. I looked behind me at Michael. He gave me a little smile. I faked a smile back. I followed the doctor into the room. We walked in. "Just give me a call if you need anything."The doctor said before leaving. It was just me and Michael now. Mia was asleep. It stayed quiet. Every once in a while Michael would say something and I'd reply.

Michael left to go use the restroom.

Mia started to move a little. She opened her eyes and sat up. "How long have a been asleep?" She asked. I shrugged. "An hour." "I'm sorry." She muttered. "For?" "I am sorry for being rude earlier." She said softly. I nodded not knowing what to say. "I still love you." She whispered. "I love you too." I said back. This time it didn't feel real.

"You look bored, like you don't want to be here." She mumbled. "What do you mean?" I asked. "It's like you don't want to be here, Ash, you look bored."

"What do you mean by that?" I asked though I knew exactly what she meant by that.

"You seem like you don't want to be with me." She said her voice quiet.

"You think I want to break up with you?" I asked. I was shocked.

"It' not just what I think. It seems like that by the way you've been acting. I think maybe we should take a break for a little while, Ash." She says.

"So this is goodbye?" I asked.

"Not entirely. Just for a little bit. I am not good with goodbyes." She said.

"Just think of it as 'I'll see you later'." I said as I looked into her eyes.

"Yeah. I'll see you later, Ash." She says as a tear falls from the corner of her eye.

"I'll see you later, Mia Jane." I said turning around and walking out of the room.

I can't cry here. C'mon Ash. Be strong.

"Ashton, you leaving already?" Michael asked following me down the hall. "Yes. We need to make a quick stop first." I said.

++++

"I will be quick." I said getting out of the car.

I knocked on the door. It was opened by Nikki. "Ash, I haven't see you in forever!" She exclaimed pulling me into a hug. "What is it?" She asked looking into my eyes. "I am pretty sure Mia will explain everything to you. Just give this to Mia please." I said handing her the journal full of letters. I turned around and started walking down the hall. "Ashton wait!" Nikki called. I didn't stop or wait.