Chapter 7: Mates, and Grey's loneliness

A month passes since Loki's threat to beat up the Captain and its been good. Steve would take Grey around the city showing her things she never knew, and him too never knew about. They learn it together, and it's nice, it's good. Grey looks at Steve as he draws, and she is playing guitar. It's a common past time for them now he draws while she plays.

Grey pulls her hair from her face and says to Steve, "We should go do something tonight, it could be fun!"

Steve smiling looks up at her even in sweatpants and a baggy t shirt she's beautiful. For a change they aren't alone everyone is around and hanging out. Tony says to them, "We could go clubbing, one look at Grey and we'd be in with out a second thought."

Grey blushes and mummers, "Shuddup Tony."

Jane pipes up, "It'll be fun Grey. Don't worry we won't let those boys get you, isn't that right Captain?"

Steve blushes and Jane winks. Grey says to them with a chuckle, "It doesn't work like that for wolves, for me. Love is one of the things I pity you humans for."

Thor says to her, "Why is that, Lady Grey?"

Grey sighs pulling her hair from her face behind her ears and says to them, "Humans do not love like wolve-."

Tony winks at her, "We can sure as hell try." Pepper promptly smacks Tony in the back of the head. Grey ignores it and keeps talking, "wolves love once for life forever upon the death of our mates most die of broken hearts, and usually never get another mate. It's love forever like a never dying fire or no love at all. Humans don't have that, you can love many but in the end leave all of them Wolves can't we find our match and it's like everything else falls away only they matter. For another thing we don't care about looks or gender. It's love pure whole real love, forever."

Clint pipes up, "Humans have something similar, we call it soul mates but we don't really believe in it. Is the mate for wolves physical or deeper then that?"

Grey smiles wistfully at Clint, "Deeper. It's not just physical, it's soul deep. When a wolf dies their mate's world shatters. We literally die of not just a broken heart but a broken lonely soul too."

Pepper changes the subject as she sees Grey's grey eyes zone out and her lips frown a bit.

At lunch Natasha says to Grey, "Will you ever mate, Grey?"