nine

EDITED: 17/08/2018

I arrived at the office a little earlier than usual, my day was jam packed full of phone calls and emails I needed to send off in preparation for the Slater Enterprises Spring Gala. It was an event that was held every year to honour their sponsors and clients. Whilst I was not solely in charge of the event it was my job to organise the guest list and send it to marketing so that they could print invitations and mail them out in time. Despite arriving early my attempt at getting started on my work was primarily halted by a visitor once again sitting in my seat.

"Mr. Doyle, what can I do for you?" I ask, sarcasm obvious in my voice.

"Well, Brenda from downstairs let me come up." He paused momentarily, shifting in my desk chair so he could put his feet up on my desk. "She is a lovely lady by the way, excellent worker." Wesley added with a little smirk watching as I slowly folded my arms and rolled my eyes.

"The point?" I groan, sick of his surprises visits and lack of professionalism.

"The point is, you seemed upset last night so I wanted to make sure that everything was okay." He replied, sounding slightly sweet.

"Upset?" I start, dropping my hands to my side as I began to pace the room. "I looked upset?" I repeated, this time staring straight at him. "Upset is an understatement, I am furious. How dare you, how dare you follow me, stalk me, whatever you want to call it. You turn up at the restaurant where I am having a perfectly nice dinner and you don't just say hello and continue on your way like any normal person. No. You stop, you sit, you interrupt our date and then have the audacity to suggest we go out for dessert. So yes, Mr. Wesley-date-crashing-Doyle I am upset and you are the cause."

I exit the room, slamming the door behind me. Storming away from the office I suddenly realise that I had just slammed the door of my office and I was now wandering the halls for no apparent reason. I made a beeline for the women's bathroom to pass some time in hope that Mr. Doyle would leave my office soon.

~~~~

After what seemed like forever but in reality was only ten minutes of constant pacing up and down the women's bathroom I decided to brave it and return back to my office. Much to my pleasure, Wesley Doyle had left and I was free to finally begin my day.

Sitting down at my desk with my office door closed I began the gala guest list. The process was tedious and the list was long. I was almost relieved when I heard a knock at my door. Calling out for my visitor to enter I was greeted by a courier holding a box of roses. I reluctantly accepted them and signed the paperwork. I had a feeling I knew who they were from but chose to read the attached card for confirmation, all it read was: Roses are red.

I groaned slightly, sick of Wesley Doyle's games that he plays. I moved the roses to the corner of my desk just in time to hear another knock at my door. This time a different courier was at my door holding a bouquet of violets. I accepted the bouquet and once again signed the paper work. Plucking the attached card from it's holder I rolled my eyes as I read the note: Violets are blue.

Another knock on my door was the last straw, throwing myself up from my chair I stormed over to it swinging it open. No surprise to me, another courier stood with a package and without a moment to lose I signed the paper work, snatched the package off of him and stomped my way back to my desk, slamming the door behind me.

Placing the package down in front of me I slowly take off the lid, not really sure what to expect. My eyes widen in shock as they see the contents of the box, sitting there, folded perfectly is a navy blue dress. Sitting on top of the dress is another note:

Roses are red, violets are blue, please forgive me with dinner for two? - W

My heart flutters slightly as I pull the dress out of the box letting the full length gown unfold. My hand moves to my desk phone and I call the only person I can think of who can help me.