fifteen

EDITED: 18/08/2018

The movie had continued to play as Wes' arm remained draped around my shoulder. I was finally starting to feel comfortable around Wes.

"Thanks for not hating me, for all those horrible things I said to you." I whisper, hoping that he has forgiven me.

"I could never hate you." Wes responded, smiling at me. I felt his hand run gently down my arm, pulling me towards him slightly. A smile crept across my face as I began to realise what was happening. Wes leaned forward slightly, glancing down at my lips. We paused momentarily, both knowing what was about to happen.

Wes' phone rang.

"Shit." Wes muttered, glancing at his phone. "It's the office, I have to take it." He explained, a pleading look in his eye.

I nodded quickly and heard as he muttered, "The moments ruined anyway." Sighing I get up and give him some privacy, not wanting him to think I was listening in.

Making my way over to the spare room I gathered my things, I assumed he would have to go into the office so I would have to head home.

A few minutes later I make my way back into the lounge room and am faced with Wes, pacing.

"Is everything okay?" I ask tentatively.

"I have to go into the office. There's been an issue with the accounts, I have to go sort it out. I'm so sorry, I know I promised you lunch." Wes apologises, grabbing his phone and wallet from the coffee table.

"No that's fine, don't worry about it." I insist, "I'll get going then." I point awkwardly towards the door.

"I'll walk you out, I have to go down to my car anyway." Wes suggests, opening his front door for me.

I respond with a smile and make my way out. We make small talk on the way to my car, passing the time. Just as we reach where I had parked Wes' phone begins to ring again.

"It's the office again, I'm sorry, again." Wes says hastily, glancing at his phone again. "I'll see you soon?" He asks hopefully.

"Of course."

"Okay, I'll talk to you later. I'm sorry again." Wes repeats. I smile and reach towards the front door of my car but am stopped by Wes' hand.

"I'm really sorry." Wes says. "I'll make it up to you." He leans in, quickly pressing his lips to my cheek before moving in the direction of his car. I find myself frozen in place momentarily. Unsure what to do next, eventually I open the door, get in my car and drive home.

"Demi." A voice startles me as I rummage through my bag looking for my front door key.

"Daniel." I say, pausing to think about what I wanted to say next. "I didn't expect to see you here."

I was lost for words, after what happened at the ball I had not expected to see Daniel so soon.

"I know you probably don't want to see me but I just thought I'd explain about what you saw the other night." Daniel begins before I stop him from saying anything else.

"Daniel, I appreciate you wanting to come and clear things up. I just think everything that needed to be said has already said." I begin, unlocking my front door ready to head inside.

"Demi please, just let me explain." Daniel practically begs as he steps forward, ready to follow me into my apartment.

I quickly spin around in my doorway, blocking his entrance.

"Daniel, I really don't want to talk about it. I'll see you around." I shut the door before he has a chance to reply.

~~~~

"Slater & River Enterprises, this is Demi Valentine speaking how may I help you?" I run the greeting, I repeat several times a day.

"I need some advice." I chuckle to myself slightly as the voice of Wesley Doyle sounds through the phone.

"How may I help you? Is this to do with a current or past contract with Slater & River Enterprises." I question, trying not to let him know that I knew exactly who I was talking to.

"It is actually not about a contract. It is about something else entirely." Wes begins to explain, pausing for a moment as though thinking over his choice of words. "How would you go about asking for someone's phone number? It feels a little odd that the only way I am able to contact her is through her work number."

I laugh out loud this time, knowing full well that he was talking about me. So I decided to continue to mess with him slightly.

"Well, if it was me, I would prefer a personal approach. In my eyes, there are three steps involved in successfully asking for a woman's phone number. Step 1: deliver flowers to her work place or home, whichever address you know. Step 2: Ask her out for lunch or dinner, whichever suits her schedule best. Step 3: Beg ever so nicely for her phone number and explain how difficult you find it when you are apart from her and how you just must have her number so you can contact her as often as possible."

"Noted, I will take your advice on board. Thank you so much for all your help." Wesley replied, trying to sound serious but I could hear the humour in his voice.

"I am so glad I could help you. Good afternoon." I quickly respond before hanging up and getting back to work.

~~~~

Just as I had settled down after a long day I heard a few quick knocks on my front door. Opening the door the last thing I expected was to see Wes standing in front of me holding a bouquet of flowers and a bag of Chinese takeaway.

"I know you said there were three steps but I thought I'd get them all done in one go so I don't have to worry about making up excuses to get Brenda at the front desk to direct my calls to you." Wesley explains, holding out the bag of takeaway towards me.

With a small smile I stepped aside and invited him in, quite happy to spend the rest of my night with him.