ten

EDITED: 17/08/2018

"A poem Lace, a sappy poem." I groaned into the phone, explaining to Lacey for the second time.

"That is kind of sweet, don't you think?" Lacey chimed, I could almost see her smile right in front of me.

"Lace, sweet is flowers, sweet is a phone call. Sweet is most certainly not a poem with a dress that looks like it costs more than this month's pay check." I knew then and there that I was lying, I was flattered that he had gone to the effort to by me a dress. 

As Lace continued to talk my ear off my hand ran over the material of the dress, I slid my hand up along the neckline, and pulled the tag out.

"No, it's not, it can't be." I stuttered, barely able to get the words out of my mouth.

"What? What can't it be? Dem you aren't making sense." Lacey said, her voice laced with worry.

"The dress, it's Alexander Wang, the designer. It's a $3,500 dress. I can't accept that. He has to take it back," my breathing shallowed and I could barely finish my sentence.

I hung up the phone soon after, assuring Lacey that I was okay and was not going to pass out due to lack of oxygen. My hands continue to hold the price tag, I laughed to myself, only a guy as self-conceited as Wesley Doyle would have the nerve to leave a price tag on a gift. He wanted me to see it, he wanted me to know how much money he had spent on me and most of all, he wanted me to say yes to his request. So I did.

~~~~

"Hi Jenny! Would you be able to put me through to Mr. Doyle?" I requested, phone to my ear and my fingers tapping away at my laptop.

"Of course, I'll let him know Mr. Slater would like to speak with him. I'll put you through right away." Jenny responded, happily accepting my request.

I sighed as she put me on hold, feeling horrible for using my boss's name as a way to talk to Wesley over the phone.

"Blake, my man. How's it going?" Wesley's voice boomed into my ear startling me slightly.

"Actually its Demi. Before you say anything I just wanted to say, I'll see you tonight. Pick me up at 7, I'll be wearing the dress but I'll need some shoes." I told him, barely taking a breath. I knew that if I paused for even a moment I wouldn't have the guts to say it to him. Without waiting for a response I hung the phone up in panic, not knowing or caring what his response would be.

Moments after placing my phone on my desk it began to ring.

"Blake Slaters office, this is Ms. Valentine, how may I help you?" I reeled off, attempting to sound happy to spend my day answering the phone.

"You know it's rude to hang up on someone." Wesley's voice filled my ears, his smooth tone sounding slightly soothing.

"You were taking to long to respond, I'm a very busy woman." I replied, a smile crossing my face.

"Well, I hope your still free tonight because I have a pair of heels on their way to you and a limo arriving at your door with me in it at 7pm." Wesley explains, sounding as though he was waiting for me to be impressed.

"I guess I could tag along." I reply, hanging up the phone before he could reply.