Chapter 31. Passing Days

Graduation had come and gone quickly much to Edd's dismay. He briefly recalled watching Kevin walk up and receive his diploma and his mother cheering as loud as she could for her adopted son without making a complete fool of herself. Speeches were given, parents sobbed, and hats were thrown into the air and everyone cheered for the graduates.

Ed and May put forth their plan to open up a vintage comic book store with support from all their friends. Edd had been so caught up in his own life that he had no idea that Ed and May had reached a platonic impasse in their friendship, let alone that they were friends at all, but Edd and Eddy still supported them fiercely.

Lee and Eddy decided to stay in Peach Creek and work on their complicated relationship together. After three years of a friends-with-benefits relationship, both had agreed that enough was enough and decided to give dating a try. Edd knew of Eddy's rendezvous with Lee, but was absolutely delighted with his decision to court the spunky red-head.

Nazz and Marie were leaving together much to everyone's surprise except Edd's. The blue-haired girl had confided in him that the cheer captain had been pining over her for the better part of six months. Saying she had a boyfriend to protect her status in school similarly like Kevin had did, but instead of coming out to everyone, the two kept it their own little secret. Now they were moving in together for college.

When people asked where the smartest kid in school was going, most thought Yale or Harvard, but Edd shot down their guesses. Edd had already started his EMT coursework weeks ago after learning to manage his shaking hands through exercises. Many were shocked and asked why, but Edd kept the honest explanation to himself and merely said he wanted to save lives.

No one asked about Kevin's plans. Instead, all his teammates from every team he was in whisked him away for one last get together. Edd agreed to let him go but made Kevin promised to be home before Edd woke up in the morning. They shared a kiss in front of the entire student body and then he walked away with the crowd of athletes.

That night Edd invited all the Eds and all the Kankers over to his house for movies and pizza. It was quite a nice experience much to Edd's surprise. No one argued, no one was forced to make out with each other, it was just a nice time with all of his friends. "So how long until you get to drive an ambulance?" Eddy asked, shoving a few pretzels in his mouth.

"I don't plan on driving the vehicle Eddy," Edd giggled and took a drink of his soda. "I've only put in about eighty hours so far."

Eddy raised an eyebrow. "Out of how many?"

"I need twelve-hundred, minimum." Edd deadpanned as Marie settled her head in her best friend's lap happily.

Eddy spit out his soda and Edd grimaced as his pristine carpet absorbed the sticky liquid. "Jesus!"

"You'll get it knocked out before you know it 'D, don't be so down." Lee chimed in as she cleaned up Eddy's soda mess. Edd gave her a gracious smile and started to twist little braids into Marie's hair absently.

"So are you gonna do anything special for Kev before he leaves? When is that by the way?"

Edd rubbed a hand over his face at Marie's question but couldn't find it in his heart to scowl down at her. "I want to, but I can't think of a good idea on what to do, and he leaves next week."

"Well you already got him a house, it's pretty hard to top that." May said from her seat on the floor as she combed her chubby fingers through Ed's short hair. The others chuckled at the comment but made no effort to provide ideas to the situation.

"You should get a tattoo or somethin'." Marie finally suggested, the others immediately reacted to the idea in such a positive manner that Edd thought they had lost their minds.