Chapter 6: The Hunter Emerges

"This way, it came from the entrance. I'm sure of it." Nigel said as he approached the large set of obsidian doors. I watched as he quickly found that he could not open it without magic, and flailed his hands at the door pitifully.

"Let me get that for you." Ibis approached him from behind before aligning her hand once again with the strange symbol. With a twitch of her wrist the door opened just a crack. Nigel nodded to Marshall, who quietly edged his way through the door first. All of us excluding Grace and Raza headed through the doorway to investigate the disturbance. Finally, my first chance to solve a crime...although that scream stayed ringing in my ears. It was time to put my skills and knowledge to the test.

Then what I knew was scrambled as I looked at the bizarre entity standing over the crippled body of Hasan, who moaned in pain like a wounded deer.

"What in the world...?" Angela said aloud as she saw what I see. The figure that loomed over Hasan was roughly seven feet tall and was unlike anything I had ever seen. Crumpled bits of dirt, iron, and marble lay at the floor like the remains of an ancient art piece destroyed by a chaotic savage. The figure itself had an astounding appearance, so unorthodox that I can't be really sure if it has any relation to humanity. The wide, heavyweight being was completely clad in silver armor that leaved no flesh visible. Curved shoulder blades stood out on the sides of its neck like blades of grass. The helmet, or perhaps the head, of the being was circular and possessed two large horns sprouting from each side of the head.

What the hell was this thing? I felt a small pang of fear race down my spine as I continued to stare at it. Judging by Hasan's flattened posture, this thing was up to no good. Looks like we will have to bring this monster to jail...although I suspect Sunai's methods are a fair bit more lethal.

A single glowing blue slit existed in the center of the head, which I could only assume to be the eye. The figure stretched its hands out as its peculiar head turned to us. Marshall drew the pistol that had been hidden in his shirt and aimed it at the mysterious creature. Both Nigel and Peter followed suit. This was about to get dangerous very quickly. But how was I going to help? I had no weapons. Ibis and Angela both looked dumbfounded as they laid eyes upon the trio's weaponry.

"You let them in with guns!? Did you check them at all?" Angela shrieked at Ibis.

"I...I didn't think they were-" She stammered.

"State your name and business." Marshall broke the conversation as his voice boomed across the hall like a naval officer communicating with a rival ship of unknown origin. He kept both hands on the gun with remarkable steadiness and a sort of sick serenity. The creature began to step closer without a single word, kicking aside Hasan that it had no doubt broken as if he was nothing but a twig on the path.

"Don't step any closer, or I will make sure 'lead poisoning' is one of the symptoms listed on your hospital diagnosis." Nigel threatened.

"Listen to the tourist. Don't come closer, unless you want a taste of The Kadan's magic." Angela enhanced the threat. The creature stopped about thirty feet away from us with a relaxed posture. I do not like the looks of this one bit.

"It is in humanities nature to fear those that are different." The being said with a voice that sounded like a deep amplified whisper. "Your fear leads you to make panicked strikes at those who wish to further the path. And so, like all things, you find yourselves begging at the hand of entropy due to your ignorance of the greater good." The being started raising its hand slowly and deliberately. That was a bad sign, we have to do something before-

"Ah, hell no." Nigel spat as he anticipated what was about to come next. He fired his handgun three times at the stranger. Strangely, the gun did not seem to be very loud at all despite me standing right next to it. A few seconds later, Peter and Marshall both followed suit. I watched as the bullets slowed down as they approached the stranger, until finally stopping in midair just centimeters before it. The bullets promptly disintegrated as grains of sand do in a harsh desert when exposed to the violent wind. The air seemed to distort around the strangers hand rather peculiarly. I was awe struck for a few moments as I witnessed what just happened. That thing can stop bullets!?