Chapter 24: The Door Opens

I stared at the rift that had formed in Senar's place. Every day spent fighting for Sunai is another surprise, it seems. No matter how much I think I have got it figured out an entire storm of curveballs is thrown at me.

"That's...That's a subdimension?" I said as I looked at it.

"A portal to one, yeah." Nigel said as he started to walk towards it.

"I have no idea what sort of black magic this is, but I'm going in." Torren said as he stepped ahead of Nigel.

"Wait, not just yet. We have no idea what kind of forces the Unity Lance may have on the other side. It's quite common for any of Sunai's foes to have the majority of their forces located within their subdimensions..." Marshall said.

"We're going to need to contact O'Reily, if not someone higher than him to assemble an assault force to take this on."

"Is it that bad? After all of this time both Officer O'Reily and Endvitz seem to have this whole Serpent thing taken care of by themselves." Ibis said.

"Yes. The involvement of a subdimension at least requires a Commodore to get involved, which is a couple pay grades above O'Reily's territory." Nigel said.

"I'm going to go grab Peter. Watch that rift...I really do not like where this is going." Angela said.

"Neither do I." I said.

"O'Reily, this is Campbern. Senar has disappeared inside a subdimensional rift. The rift is still active." Marshall said.

"What!? Shit. That's not good. Now what to do about that..." O'Reily replied.

"We were hoping you had an answer to that." Marshall said. Did he just sass O'Reily? Wait, I shouldn't even be surprised by that.

"Shut your hole. I'm thinking." Came the equally sassy reply.

"Are we going or not? I am not afraid to do this alone." Torren said impatiently.
"If you do that you will die. Even if Senar is the only thing in there he is still too much for you to fight alone." I warned him. Torren may be kind of an asshole, but he doesn't deserve to die so easily. Besides, if he dies to Senar's hand...that will only make him even stronger. Torren gave me a sideways glance that I assume is equivalent to a sneer, though he doesn't have a face to do that with.

"Alright. Here's what we're going to do." O'Reily's wonderful voice of leadership came. "All of you are going to get in there and scope the place out. If Senar did it in a hurry I don't think he has a trap ready to spring on you. Get to some sort of fringe away from all of the heat once you are all inside, and rest there until reinforcements arrive. Then we'll all take on whatever the hell is in there together." O'Reily said.

"Sounds like a plan...what happens if a large force is waiting on the other side?" I asked.

"Run. And if you see Senar, don't chase after him just yet." O'Reily said.

"I have the feeling that you are making this up as you go." Angela said.

"Come on, we've been at this for a while now. Everything Sunai does is made up as it goes." I said. She sighed and rolled her eyes.

"I hate how that makes a fair point." She said.

"Alright then...who's first?" Nigel asked. He immediately put his finger on his nose. Gah, he's such a child...I'm going to put my finger on my nose anyway. Marshall, Angela, and Peter caught on right away. I motioned for Ibis to put her finger on her nose. She gave me a confused look at first but then obliged.

"Looks like it's you, Torren." Nigel said.

"What?" Torren said in a confused tone.

"Hey, come on now. That's not entirely fair. He has no nose." Peter said.