Chapter 13: Debriefing

"Welcome to H-Base! Pretty neat, ain't it?" Peter said as the door of the Descartes opened to reveal a seaside military base. This base looks a lot more open compared to E-Base; Everything seems to be out in plain sight. The base in it's entirety was probably a mile long, with several docked small military ships in the harbor along with a small airfield hosting around ten aircraft. We are landing on a small rectangular white helipad surrounded by water with a small iron catwalk to the base. This place is actually pretty nice.

The whirring of the Descartes twin rotors came to a halt as the aircraft powered down. The three soldiers and I jumped off of the back and landed onto the helipad. I walked across the catwalk behind Peter. The sun casted its orange rays upon the area. I can't help but notice that Peter is walking with the usual spring in his step, despite having been shot in the waist during the seige of Martapura just a few days ago. His walk is especially healthy compared to my own wounded stagger. Is Peter made of rubber or something?

"You said Ibis, Angela, Marshall, and Nigel were here? No one is dead?" I asked Peter.

"Yup! They're all here. We all survived the run in with those evil soldiers." He said cheerily. I knew it. The Serpent was spreading lies, as per usual.

"What about your waist? Doesn't it hurt at all?" I asked him. He gave me his own confused look to match.

"...No? I got it treated, it's practically good as new. Oh! That's right, I forget. You have no idea how good Sunai healthcare is. Well my friend, you're about too! We'll get you fixed up and have everyone meet inside the medbay to discuss what happened." Peter said.

" After everything beating down on me with guns, teeth, talons, and whatever the hell else that sounds really damn good." I said. He gave me a quizzical yet curious look, but asked no questions. We crossed the catwalk into the main structure of the base.

"Boy, do we have a surprise for you! Multiple ones, actually." Peter said as we waltzed through the armored double doors of the base using his keycard. The inside of the place is white with orange lights streaking across the walls like an underground highway tunnel. The furniture was futuristic in a retro sort of way. This is pretty cool...way more cozy than the other base. Dozens of soldiers armored in suits identical to Peter's walked around the place, no doubt busy with missions and the like.

"I can't help but notice your suit is different from the last time I saw you wearing one. Is it a new edition or something?" I asked.

"Even better! For helping the city during The Serpent's onslaught and locating a..a uh...very important artifact that I would really love to tell you about but I can't because I don't want to spoil it until we meet the others..." He trailed off with a hand in the air.

"What? Why is your suit different?" Come on back to reality, Peter.

"Right! I ranked up for my good work. I am now a Striker! Higher than I have ever been. Comes with some better gear too. Think of it as kind of like a Sergeant, but leading troops isn't my main shtick. Both Campbern and Clovers got promoted too." 

"Well, congratulations!" I complimented him. We walked down a wide airport-like hallway and turned down a corridor.

"Thanks! Medbay is just through these doors. You'll be good as new in no time, the technology here is the best!" He said and then I followed him through another set of glass double doors not too different from that of the gas station. Same supplier I guess.

The medical area is indeed quite impressive. There are several L-shaped tables with large complicated machines forming a wall around the outer edge. Patients lied flat on the tables while the machines treated them. Mechanical whirring and humming filled the room as the grayish blue machines moved small appendages to treat various wounds or illnesses. Roughly half of the machines had barriers up to conceal the patients.