Chapter 14: Training Day

Marshall led me down a service hallway that is supposedly adjacent to the barracks. The hallway has loads of dark gray piping and compartments about the place that I assume store tools of some sort. We left the rest of our group as they entered the barracks so we could chat in private.

"What is it?" Marshall stopped in the hallway and asked me. I took a deep breath. I don't really like apologizing, but I know what he said about not being reckless.

"Remember how you said not to focus on catching criminals and-"

"And to instead focus on learning something. Yes. I remember. I am guessing that you feel as if you failed to do that and came to apologize?" Wait...how did he do that? Is Marshall a psychic?

"What? How did you know?" I asked.

"I can see it in your eyes. You're avoiding eye contact." Well, isn't he observant.  It really catches me off guard.

"Ah, uh...well? Yeah. I'm apologizing. I failed to do what you said." I sighed.

"Not entirely. Although I do think you tried too hard to stop Senar in your condition." He said. "As for The Serpent...he came to you. I am glad that you focused on escaping rather than prying for information."

"So...I'm not going to detention?" I joked. Marshall shook his head.

"No. I believe you have learned your lesson." He smiled. Well, good to know I haven't screwed up that badly.

"There is something else I wanted to ask you." I said. He cocked his head slightly. "In order to escape, I stole somebodies car. I feel so bad about it. Do you think that was right? To do that to somebody?"

"You did what you had to do to save your own life. I would have done the same. Had you attempted to save people instead, you would be dead." Marshall said sternly. "But since you escaped with your own life, we can now properly train you on how to save people. I am sure that is what you want, isn't it?"

"Yes. I really do. I don't want to fail anyone else."

"Good. Let's return to the barracks." Marshall said. He began walking down the hall leading back to the barracks. The conversation is over. I feel a bit better about what I did, though I know I will have to make up for it after training is over. I wonder what that training will be like...Peter said it was 'accelerated' after all. Is it because of the time constraint, or because they trust me enough to do it?

I followed Marshall to the barracks and entered the double doors. Everyone there was waiting, with Ibis and Angela on one end and the soldiers on the other.

"I still don't see why Ibis and I have to receive training. We have proven that we can take care of ourselves." Angela said grouchily.

"Well, what if some freaky wizard dude deactivates your magic powers? Then what? You'll wish you knew how to fire a gun." Nigel said.

"And what if somebody takes your guns? You'll wish you knew how to use magic." Angela mocked.

"Well...teaching us would be nice..." Peter said.

"If we had six months to teach you how, I would. But we don't have that much time." Angela said.

"Alright everybody, clear out for a while. Angela and I are going to get Nathan trained up. We'll whip him into fighting shape. Ibis, I want you searching all records on this Torren Voldusaya...see exactly what it is. Might provide us some essential info on how to deal with it in case it's still alive." O'Reily said and then scratched at his cap. "As for my men, I want you all looking for information on the exact location of the excavation site. We have a region, but I want a definite answer." He said. Soon it was only O'Reily, Angela, and myself.