Chapter 15: Altara

"Didn't you just say that you weren't going to fight me for real?"

"What I meant by that is I am not going to attack you with a dagger or blast you with magic. Little wooden swords, however, are fair game." Angela said. Well, that is marginally better than being tossed around like a ragdoll by O'Reily. "Now, since you have proven that your skill with swords is crap, we are going to start from the bottom."

"Gee. Thanks. Aren't I so lucky?" I said.

"But...with a twist. I want you to focus your daya before you start swinging that sword. Do you remember how to do that?"

"Yeah, just imagine how your body acts for every action you take. I did it in Saudi Arabia." I said.

"Yes...but there is a little bit more to it than just that. You can get some use out of your daya just doing that. If you really want to see sparks fly, then you have to do one more step." Angela said.

"And what would that be?"

"I am going to guess that you felt a foggy feeling when you tapped into it before?" I nodded. Good to know that was a normal feeling. "Good. When you feel that, here is what you can do: as contradictory as this sounds, you need to clear your mind. Focus on nothing but that feeling. If you don't, your abilities spiral out of control or lose impact." Angela said.

"That is crazy. How will I pay attention to what's going on around me then? I'll be left vulnerable."

"Since you are inexperienced, yes. Once you get used to it you can do it within seconds. Also, I am not done yet." She said. But wait, there's more! "Soon enough you will be able to...uh...'interact' with the feeling."

"What was that? Why did you pause...?" I said. What does she mean by 'interact'? I don't like the way she said that.

"Look, it's hard to explain that part. It's different for everybody, especially so for somebody carrying two souls." She sighed. "Just...we'll try it out and see where it goes, okay?"

"Alright, I'm trusting you." I said. She walked up to me and gave me a sword. At least this one doesn't make me feel like my hands are on fire.

"Now, try it out. Imagine yourself striking me, but focus on that feeling." She said.

Okay...here we go. Imagine every little motion I make in maximum detail. Don't pay attention to the snickering O'Reily over there...wait, what is he laughing about? No, no no. Focus, Nathan. Ok...electric signals passing down my spine and down into my muscles. Muscles contracting as I grip the sword and step forward towards Angela... it's starting!

The misty feeling is working its way through my body out from my chest. Now I have to focus on just that. Nothing else matters but this feeling. This is stupid... but I can't lose focus. If I can do this, I will be strong enough to protect others. The foggy feeling is growing stronger. Really strong. Keep focused, me. Keep going. My vision is going kind of blurry...don't focus on that! The feeling has spread to my entire body. I can feel something beating in my chest...something that isn't my heart. Should I focus on that? I am so confused.

Wait, why can't I see anything? All I see is black. I don't hear anything either. Did I just black out?

"...Hello? What the hell just happened? Angela? This better not be a prank." I said.

"I think you can figure it out." A woman's voice said. It was familiar...but I can't put a name to it. Who is that?

I look over and see a tall woman dressed in bulky, steel armor wielding a large broadsword pointed at the floor. She has short straight brown hair and...golden eyes? That can't be right. Must be colored contacts or something. There are a few freckles on her sharp face. She's the same knight from my dream. We both appear to be in some sort of black void...standing on nothing I guess.