Chapter 7 - Neither Do I

Standing to the side, Finley watched as Steve still struggled to get the bar up. It was only day two, so of course she didn't expect him to be able to do it already. Today was already a long day for him. Got up in the morning, cleaned the bar, then headed straight to workouts.

Bucky tended to stay by Steve for the most part, he was a good friend. Concerned for just how Steve can improve, Buck was ready to get him listed into the army. It was a dream they both had, and Bucky wanted to do it with him.

As Finley leaned against the side of the wall, she carefully studied the way each of them worked. Steve was fragile, stupid, and determined. Bucky was built, tall, and wise. Together they would be the perfect soldier,  but in the real- world the best of friends.

That was something that Finley always strived for. She only ever had one friend like that throughout her entire life. But he ended up just like everyone else did. Gone.

⚋⚊⚋⚊⚋⚊⚋⚊⚋⚊⚋⚊⚋⚊⚋

Ending his day with a run, Steve stayed occupied running laps around the park. Meanwhile, Bucky and Finley remained in one set area with a timer. She watched carefully, every lap he made she wrote down his time. His goal was 10 laps, and right now the kid was at 7.

"He'll get there." She breathed as Steve trotted past them. His time was increasing which meant the kid was getting slower. "It's just gonna take time."

"I think that's the one thing that were running out of.."

"What do you mean?" She asked writing down his time.

With a sigh, Bucky watched his friend run  "I'm just scared that by the time we get him in shape, the war will be over."

"And that's a bad thing?"

"For the world no, but all the kid has ever wanted was to be a soldier." A short silences filled the air as Bucky breathed. "It'll break his heart if he's too late."

"I'll stay with him." She muttered. This caused Bucky to turn and look at her. "You're going off to basics soon. I'll get him there,  somehow I will make him a soldier."

"I've been meaning to ask you about that." This caught her attention. "How do you know all this stuff?"

"What do you mean..."

Slowly, together, they began walking towards a park bench. "How to get Steve there. Like fighting, training, where did you learn it all?"

One by one, she shoved her hands into her pockets and sighed. "I ugh-" the woman tried to find the words. "I had a friend."

"A friend?"

Clearing her throat, she nodded as they sat down. "His name was Henry. An old bastered, retired vet from the first war." On the far side of the park, Finley could see Steve's jog slowing down. "Taught me everything I know."

"Well what about your parents?" This immediately shut Finley down. Her fists clenched, her jaw tightened, and inside she felt hollow. Bucky immediately noticed this. She wouldn't answer, for the longest time they sat in silence. It didn't matter the look that Steve sent them as he ran by, Finley remained looking at the ground. Bucky knew what this meant... "I'm sorry." He breathed. "I didn't know."

She was sharp to answer though. "Neither do I."

"What do you mean?"

"I had parents." She breathed sitting up. "A house, a bed, everything a picture perfect family could want." She sighed. "Until one night, they didn't come home." This made Bucky stare, both leaning forward onto their knees. "My brother Danny and I, we waited, but we never got an answer. "

"So what did you guys do?" He didn't mean to be nosey, he really didnt.

With a shrug, she sighed- "we moved on. Did what we had to."

"And youre brother?"

Closing her eyes, Finley breathed. "Danny- ugh..." she choked slightly. From her right Bucky could see her throat tighten. "He-" sitting back, Finley knew she wasn't going to be able to get the words out.

"Done." Steve almost collapsed in front of them. The sweat dripped off of his forehead like the morning Dew on a glass window. "At least, I hope so."

His pants and begs were enough to make her smile. "Ya did good Stevie. We're done for the day."

"Good.." he sat down where she was once standing.

Bucky just watched her from where he was sitting.

"Why don't you two head home?" She folded Steve's times into her pocket. "Imma head back and help Jack close the bar."

"Finley..." Bucky sighed seeing the hurt from their conversation behind her eyes.

"I'm good Buck. You two should just head back, meet me at Jackson's tomorrow around noon. I'll have something else planned, I promise."

"Are you sure you don't want us to-"

"No Buck, I'll be good. You two need to get some sleep, dont think I forgot about you." She smiled towards Bucky. "You start tomorrow."

"We can walk you back finley." Steve rose to his tired feet.

With a smile, she just shook her head no. "I'll be okay, thanks though. Tomorrow looks like it's gonna rain." She glanced at the sky. "So bring an extra set of clothes. Have a good night boys." And with that, Finley dropped her head and looked to her feet once again.

In the background, Steve and Bucky rose to their feet watching her walk away.

There is a reason she had her back turned. She didn't want them to see. Finley didn't know them, she didn't understand them and they didn't understand her. They were good people, and good people didn't deserve to be hurt. 

That's why she was now.

So, with her head down and hood up, Finley sucked it down, but one seemed to escape. Through her blurry vision, she watched it hit her feet, she watched it spread across the white toe of her worn down shoes.

She never cried in front of anyone, and that wasn't about to change today.