Chapter 10 - For Henry

Bucky was quiet, the walk was filled with unresponded hellos and solemn stares. Something was wrong, but he wouldn't tell Steve what it was. At least not yet he wouldn't.

"Are you sure you're okay Buck?" He tried walking in front of his friend. "Did something happen?"

"I'm okay Steve, really."

It didn't convince him. He could tell when he was lying, Steve practically knew every part of Bucky that there was to him.

"I just-" he finally breathed admitting that he wanted to say something. "I can't figure her out."

It was about Finley

"Well what happened?"

"I don't know Steve. She's just not like Any other girl I've met."

"Yeah." The blonde chuckled.  "She actually knows I exist."

"Shut up." He laughed pushing his friend. "I just- I can't pin it. We get close, we get comfortable, then I say one thing and we are back to square one."

"Finley isn't like other girls though Buck." Breathing, he tried to think of the right words. "She isn't scared, she isn't clingy, she's observant, she knows what to say at just the right time."

"Well geez Stevie are you starting to like her too?"

Immediately Steve stopped smiling. "No. She'd probably kill me- but you're starting to like her?"

There was no hiding it now. Taking a breath, he dropped his head and smiled. "Yes Steve, I do."

"Well I think she likes you too."

"You do?"

Continuing walking, the two were happy to see the bar in sight. "Finley is observant like I said, but whenever you're around its like all she sees is you."

"So she watches me?"

"In a way I guess. Not creepily I don't think. And I see when you look at her.."

"I just dont know how to approach her Steve."

"Well I don't know what to tell you?! You think I have ever talked to a girl?"

Laughing he reached for the handle of the bar and sighed. "Well I have 44 days to figure it out I guess."

"You will, I mean you're Bucky. You always figure out how to get the girl."

The instant they walked into the bar, both could tell that the atmosphere was different. The air seemed heavy, lighting seemed to be dimmer, and the smell of tension filled the room. Both Steve and Bucky froze looking around. There wasn't a thing out of place, the tables were clean, the bar was spotless, and the music was playing at the normal tone it always was.

However, they were different. Jackson was leaning against the counter, his rag over his neck and a tired expression dawning over his face. Finley's back was to them, hands together as she leaned on her knees. The girl's stare didn't leave the ground, her shoulders raising steadily with each breath she took.

"Everything okay?" Steve broke through the silence making Jackson look up to them.

For a short glance, his gaze averted to Finley before he pushed himself off the bar counter. Then, pacing over to Bucky and Steve, he rested a hand on each of their shoulders and patted them softly. "Everything's fine boys,  but im afraid youre going to have to go home for today."

"What, why?" Steve questioned.  Bucky would have chimed in, but instead he was looking at Finley. The way her shoulders were slouched and her head was dropped- something serious was wrong.