Covert

The corridor was long and windy. My flat rubber less heels made an annoying tapping sound as they paced across the empty expanse. I turned right as per the directions given. I was certain I was not lost at least not yet. I adjusted the ends of my form fitting t-shirt that was bent on riding up above my waist and continued to patter down determinedly. The very next turning would be it. I was sure I was not lost.

I shifted my heavy back pack and the two other shoulder strap bags before I hit a firm wall of pure male. My eyes shot up to clash with hard black pits that seemed to look down into my very soul.

"You are not supposed to be here," he said.

"Hi, I'm Jenny. Jenny Stevens. The new contractor. I was given the directions to come here," I explained before adding proudly, " I'm not lost."

That earned me a flicker of reaction as his expression twitched as if to consider if I was a retard. Not the reaction I was looking for.

"Hey is there a problem here?" I looked up to see four more of the same pop up as if out of nowhere. It was a blank corridor for goodness sake. There were no doors along its white washed walls. The echos from all this empty space alone would announce just anyone's arrival. I certainly announced mine.

"No problem," I said staring up at my unblinking audience. "I know where I am going. I do not need any assistance." I say this firmly and got no reaction.

"State your business here," said the first guy again.

"I just did. I am the contractor see I've got a pass," I said flicking up my tag and waving it to draw their attentions away. But again they didn't even blink. I could feel the giggles coming up. It was my never fail mechanism in the face of nervousness.

"Could you stop staring other then being rude its just plain rude," I say jokingly and that was my next fail proof reaction humour to distract and cover the nerves.

"You are in the wrong place, " said the first guy robot like.

"What was it you said you were here for?" said the second guy and the third pipped right in with a ," What was your name again?"

I couldn't help it, I could no longer contain it. I giggled. But like all giggles it didn't just stop at one nope it evolved into a fit of giggles as the five still stood there staring at me. Not a flicker of reaction on their faces. That just made me burst out more.

"I'm sorry. I guess I really should take this seriously. I mean you are the police. I could get..ar..arrested. .for. .for giggling, " it was hard to get out but I managed between giggles but their scrutiny did not relent and then it struck me that this must be the covert ops. I must have taken the wrong turn afterall. That set me off in outright laughter. Working from a new high, I said between chuckles," You guys remind me ....of my sister. She used ....to use... that same stare to tickle answers out of me."

Of course the sister I meant actually  belonged to the convent where I studied. She stared at everyone in exactly that same way. And I there was assuredly no tickles involved.  None whatsoever.

"Is there a problem here? "

I almost groaned out loud at yet another one of them turning up. At this rate I would be rolling over the floor hysterically before they were done and on my first day of work too.

I turned to look at the newest member of the group in the face and was stunned I to silence to find my high school crush, the jock of jocks, captain of the football team, Joshua Holmes. My instantly rapid heart beat dropped a beat when there was no answering flicker of recognition in his eyes. It was not as if I looked any different from back then. I was still dressed the same. Infact I think itvwas the same tshirt that I was wearing. I bulked shopped. Bought the same stuff in every imaginable colour. Then wore it literally like forever. I was still as skinny as before and on the bridge of my nose sat the same glasses I had more then 10 years back. My power had remained fairly stable after a time. All that reading and hours before the computer gaining my Masters and then my PhD hadn't affected my vision by much.

PhD! That reminded me," I'm Dr Jenny Stevens, the computer analyst contracted by the department to help you guys out. If you could direct me to the IT department, I'll get out of your hair."