Chapter 25

"You're late!" I declared without preamble. I had been waiting for his sorry ass to turn up for just about forever. Well mostly just for the last half an hour or so. Afterall, I had bunk work for the rest of the afternoon, ditched a terrorist threat all together and this was our last time together. I had spent the last half hour torn between guilt of dodging some vital work, praying there was no terror strike whileI was off shopping away the afternoon and cussing Cody. Correction, Father Cody.

I stared in disgust at his attire. The damn collar was visible to all and sundry. I hated having to walk about with the collar. I grimaced at his grin. He knew I hated the damn thing. Mostly for the very reasons that made him untouchable.

"We're going shopping," I declared militantly. If he was not about to do more then just grin at me for being late and wearing that bloody collar, I would have my vengence.

I caught hold of his hand and tugged him along after me. If we were going to shop we needed to get srarted pronto. Who knows how long it would take. I felt a sudden pang at the thought of the end of our trip... he would be gone. I squeezed his hand tightly, refusing to look at him. I was fiercely glad for the sunnies that sat at the bridge of my nose. But I think he must have known just what I was feeling for he squeezed my hand back only harder. I gulped down the tears clogged down in my throat and blinked away the tears that started to trickle down my cheeks.

I ignored his soothing murmurs and continued to march down the street till I found it. I whipped off my glasses and wiped away my wet cheeks before I declared openly," Vengence is mine!"

Then I tugged him into the exclusive high end lingerie shop.

Cody's chuckle did nothing to placate me so I made for the skimpiest racks and started pulling out selections to try.  I tossed them at him ignoring the tears that started to run down my cheeks again. I was angry. Hurt and angry that he would just up and leave me. As if I was nothing... nothing but a flatmate. But Cody being Cody said nothing. He merely caught whatever I threw at him and simply stacked them up in his arms. I hated him for his understanding. I hated him for leaving.

"I hate you," I breathed out finally worn out from my zeal. Broken by my helplessness.

"I know," he whispered understandingly

"And I hate your being understanding," I hissed out venomously.

Then I grabbed the pile out of his hands and all but ran away to the changing rooms. I stripped down and tried on the first pair. I stared unseeingly at my reflection. I didn't care. I didn't care how it looked.

Ignoring the rest of the sampls I changed back into my office attire and shurged out of the changing rooms dispiritedly. I picked a random few and left the rest behind. Not looking at Cody who was still silent, I rushed on to the counter and tried not to wince as the cashier rang in my purchases.

"Maybe we should just head back?" Cody suggested softly when I emerged from the shop to stand aimlessly on the street.

I shook my head. "Just go," I said.

I didn't do farewells. I couldn't do farewells. I knew I couldn't spend the rest of the day with him faking a happy face. I needed to shop but like always. I'll just do it online.

I stood there stiff and unresponsive as Cody took me in his arms. He was pushing my limits but maybe he needed this. So I clenched my teeth and held still.

After what must seem like forever, Cody released me and without another word, he turned away and strode off.

Gone. Out of my life. I sighed melodramatically and rapidly blinked away my tears. But that would have been like trying to stop the tide.

Thankfully, my phone rang just at that moment.

"Where the fuck are you?" Growled out Josh from the other end.

"Just on my way back in," I lied through my teeth and hoped he didn't hear the tears in my voice.

"We have a situation," he said more quietly.

Don't we all?

"I'm almost there," I said before hanging up and breaking into a run to head back to the office. Something told me this was going to be a long day... and night.