III

Z kept looking back to make sure that Nick was following and also to see if the guards were following them. After running for a long distance they stop to catch their breath. No guard was to be seen.

"I think we lost them," Z said between heavy breaths.

"Yeah," Nick said looking back the way they came, "I think so too."

They collapsed on the ground in exhaustion.

"Why did the guards chase us?" Z asked Nick, "we're just a couple of orphans."

Nick didn't answer so Z looked at over at him. He was asleep. She smiled and stared up at the trees. She looked at the sun and could tell it was about noon. There hasn't been any electricity for 13 years. One day all the electricity in the world just shut off. No one knew why or how and no one has been able to fix it. Z was 6 when it happened and she could still remember how much easier life was. She adapted well, though. She was very good in combat and very good at running. She trained herself at the orphanage, to become better and to take away the pain of her parents' death.

They were both very good scientists, so they decided to try to help bring electricity back but one of their experiments went wrong. Z was 8 when it happened. She remembered the horrible news. She was an orphan now, she would never see her parents again.

A tear slipped down Z's cheek and she quickly swiped it away. She wasn't going to cry not now. The water jug, Z thought. Z was very thirsty and so was Nick. She stood up and grabbed the water jug and went over to nick.

"Do you know where the nearest town is?" Z asked him.

"no, why," Nick asked.

"We need water," Z said. She started walking and Nick got off the ground and followed her.

"I guess we just need to wander until we find one," Z called back to nick.

"Okay. So, how about we get to know each other on the way" Nick said.

"How about no," Z mumbled.

"Are you always this mean," Nick said. He ran up to her so they were walking side by side. Z didn't answer him and he rolled his eyes.

"Do you ever smile?" Nick asked. Z turned her head and glared at him.

"Why are you so quiet," Nick said.

"SHUT UP! DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW TO BE QUIET?!" Z screamed at him.

Nick laughed. How dare he laugh at me! He is not taking this seriously. We were just chased by palace guards and he doesn't even care. He is so annoying. Z looked over at Nick so she could glare at him. She was surprised to see Nick was staring at her. She suddenly became very self-conscious.

"Why are you staring at me?" Z asked in a nervous voice. She's never had a boy stare at her, especially like that.

"because you are very pretty, I just couldn't help myself," Nick said with a smile.

Z gasped and punched his arm.

"What was that for?" Nick whined as he held his arm.

"I am definitely not pretty, look at me I'm all dirty and I can't even remember when I last had a bath" Z said.

"Well I think you look beautiful. And since you're so beautiful you must certainly have kissed a boy before, no?" Nick said with a wicked grin.

Z glared at him. What is he trying to get out of this? If he's trying to get a kiss he most certainly will not get one. Z quickened her pace.

"Hey," yelled Nick, trying to catch up.

Z rolled her eyes. This boy is the most annoying of them all.

She is really hard to break, Nick thought.

"Hey," Nick called again, finally catching up. "I just want to become friends, if that's okay with you."

Z stopped and looked at Nick.

"I don't know," Z said, " I don't do so well with 'friends'."

"I can tell," Nick laughed, "but I'm willing to try."

Z blushed. He's really cute, especially his smile. Z shook her head, dismissing the thought.

"Fine you can try but, I'm not promising anything good will happen," Z said, finally giving in.

"I am."

"What?!"

"nothing," Nick laughed.