Chapter 27: Isengard

"I feel like I'm back at the Green Dragon after a hard days work." Autheil heard Pippin say.

"Only you've never done a hard days work." Merry said, both of them laughing in response as they smoked their pipes. They both then saw a the group come from behind the trees. Merry stood up on top of the wall they were sitting on and announced. "Welcome My Lords and My Lady to Isengard."

"You young rascals, a merry hunt you lead us on and now we find you feasting and...and smoking." Gimli scolded them while Legolas, Aragorn and Autheil smiled at them, just glad to see them alive.

"We are sitting on a field of victory. Eating a few well earned comforts. The salted pork is particular good." Pippin replied. "Salted pork?" Gimli questioned, knowing he would like some.

"Hobbits..." Gandalf muttered under his breath unimpressed.

"Were under orders of Treebeard, who has taken over management of Isengard." Merry told them. Autheil got down from her horse and hugged the two Halflings. "It's good to see you both alive and well." she said to them. "It is good to see you too." Merry replied. Autheil let the pair go as Gandalf ordered them to enter Isengard. Autheil helped Merry on to her horse and Pippin went with Aragorn.

"He's a lovely horse." Merry commented. "Thank you. Éomer gave them to us as a gift when we were tracking you guys down." she explained.

"I see you two have been busy." Autheil noted as she took in the site of a flooded and destroyed Isengard. "Oh yes, we will have to tell you what has happened as will you have to." Merry said. Autheil nodded.

"Oh, young master Gandalf. I'm glad that you've come. Wood, stock and stone I can master but there is a wizard to manage here locked in his tower." the large talking tree named Treebeard said to them.

Aragorn looked up at the tower angerliy "Show yourself." he whispered.

"Be careful. Even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous. We can only hope Autheil's spell worked." Gandalf warned them.

"We'll let's just ave his head and be done with it." Gimli suggested. "Yes." Autheil quickly agreed.

"No." Gandalf rebuked them "We need him alive. We need him to talk." Gandalf said. Autheil looked away bitterly as Legolas rode up beside her and took her hand.

"You have fought in many wars and slain many men, Théoden King and afterwards made peace. Can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace you and I?" a voice sounded from above them. They all looked up to see Saruman standing on top of the tower.

"We shall have peace..." Théoden trails off and then looks back up at Saruman. "We shall have peace when you answer for the burning of the Westfold and the children that lie dead there! We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were shewn even as they lay dead against the gate of the Hornburg are avenged!" Théoden then gritted his teeth "When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows we shall have peace!"

"Gibbets and crows! Dotard!" Saruman shouted not believing he was insulted on such a manner "What do you want Gandalf Grayhem? Let me guess the key of Orthanc? Or perhaps the key of Barad Dûr itself? Along with the crown of the seven Kings and the rods of the Five Wizards." Saruman shouted in anger.

"Your treachery has already cost you many lives. Thousand more are no at risk but you can save them Saruman." Gandalf said. "You are deep in the enemy's counsel."

"So you have come here for information. I have some for you." Saruman said and then lifted up the Palentir. Saruman stared at it with a crazy look in his eye. "Something festers in the heart of Middle-Earth, something you have failed to see. The great Eye has seen it. Even now he presses his advantage. His attack will come soon."