18. Birthing

It has been an hour since we arrived here at St. Luke's Hospital and we still haven't heard anything from anyone. When we arrived at Emergency department the nurse crowded at Rhea and took her away somewhere and Nik and I have been sitting here at the waiting room.

"So.. you remember?" Nik asked carefully.

"Yes. Nice timing too." I simply answer back. "I also remember everything from when I don't remember them." I gesture to the door indicating Rhea and the twins. At that time, a nurse was walking towards us. I stood up, "How is my wife?" I asked her anxiously.

"I was told by your wife to bring you both to her room." the nurse sarcastically answered.

I just looked at Nik, who shrugged at me. We both went with her to the maternity department. I saw Dr. Lisa from before when Rhea had an accident. I walked towards her, while Nik said his thanks to the nurse who brought us there.

"Dr. Lisa, how is my wife and children doing?" I asked her worriedly.

"Mr. Theakis, they are doing well. Rhea is still in labour and it looks like its going to be a long one."

I was just about to ask her why then I heard this scream... ARGHHH!!!... from the inside of the room. Oh my god! what is happening. I rushed in the room to see Rhea griping on the bed rails with tears streaming down her red face.

"You!" Rhea said when she saw me and Nik standing at the door. "Me?" I asked her. "NO! the man to your left." She retorted back at me. There is no one on my left, so I know that she is being sarcastic again. I walked towards her and wiped her eyes and cheeks. She looks really angry, fragile and scared at the same time.

"You remember.." She said awe.

"Yes, I remember you, me and the babies." I said softly to her. Then she started crying again.

*Nik went outside and close the door to give Rhea and Caleb a moment.*

"I thought I will be doing this by myself." She said in between tears. "I know I had Nik to come to my last few birthing lessons just in case, but I knew from the beginning that if I can't have you then I'll just do it alone." She continued while crying and wiping her own tears. "I missed you so much."

I don't remember when was the last time I cried but in that moment I knew and accepted that I have hurt her so much that crying is the least of my worries and that she will never think less of me as a man even if I cry. So, cry I did. "I missed you too. I love you Rhea." I told her while openly crying to her. I hurt her so much that the pain of knowing that I have hurt the woman I love pierce right thru my heart.

We were having a moment when she cried out in pain, physical pain from the labour. "It looks like the twins does not like being ignored." I told her smiling. I wiped her tears and mine.

"As if I could ignore them. They are a pain at the moment." She said with a clench teeth.

The labour itself is 8 hours. By the time the twins arrive my family and Mikhaila is waiting with Nik outside while I stayed with Rhea. The moment Dr. Lisa handed me my baby boy was the time I realize that this is my reality now - a family man. Never in my wildest dream that I thought I will have a family. One of the nurses took my son and handed me my baby girl, this time I smiled because my girl is a carbon copy of her mother and I knew that this little one will be spoiled.

Dr. Lisa and the nurses are cleaning up Rhea and the babies now and they have asked me to leave. I went to Rhea and spoke to her, "I will just be outside with everyone. I will tell them everything, so you have a rest. Let me take care of everything this time." Rhea just smile at me and whispered, "Thank you." I let go of her hand and went to the door. After I stepped out of the door I heard this alarming sound from one of the machine. I turned around and saw Dr. Lisa frantically giving orders...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side Story:

Caleb: Really?! Really?!

Author: What?! Its part of the story.

Caleb: You do know that we are taking about my wife here, right?

Author: I know. The story is almost finished, we need some suspense.

Caleb: Suspense?! What about I hurt you for suspense?

Author: Then there will be no ending on your story. You will be hanging.

Caleb: Goddamn author....