Chapter Nine

Bellamy’s P.O.V

I opened the door to the Trans Am, turning on the car and blasting the radio up, “Killjoys make some noise!” Blasted through the speakers in the Trans Am. I jumped out, letting Cornelius jump into my hand and ran as fast as I could.

Cornelius and I were already long gone, covering as much ground as possible before the lyrics faded and then turned off all at once. I pictured both of them next to the Trans Am with confused looks on their faces.

My name was called somewhere off in the distance but I ignored them, feeling bad that they were so worried about me. It was for their own good.

The plan worked as well as I had imagined it would. I thought into the future for a second. When they met up with us at the diner, they were going to be so pissed. But I wasn’t worth risking their lives, they had to understand that I did this to save them.

I shook and thoughts away and just kept running towards the mountains.

The sun was almost at its highest point in the sky and I was surprised by how much stamina I actually had considering I never stopped running. I supposed it was all the adrenaline that pushed me and the constant thought of Gerard that kept me going further and further. The mountains were much farther away than I had originally thought.

My body felt numb… when I inhaled, my breaths felt like I was inhaling shards of glass, “You need to take a break,” Cornelius warned, yelling over my footsteps thundering against the sand.

I just shook my head, “I ha-have to g-get to G-Ger-ard,” I gasped, my words choppy. At that exact moment my knees buckled and I was sent flying into the hot sand of the desert, not sure what zone I was in anymore. Cornelius stood, dusting the sand off of his jacket and pants, looking at me worriedly.

I weakly reached into my backpack and pulled out a bottle of water, sloppily drinking it, a few streams of water managing to escape my lips and slide down my sweating neck. The cool water felt extremely good as I decided to pour the rest over my face and chest.

I allowed the plastic bottle to slip from my hands and to the ground, getting buried underneath the sand, the wind blowing it across the desert floor, “What zone are we in?” I whispered, still out of breath.

He pulled the map that I had taken from the Trans Am out from my backpack and unfolded it, “Zone Five… we’re almost there. They’re in Zone Six,” he informed me, pointing to the route.

I happily sighed, repeating, “We’re almost there.”

“But before we take off again, you should eat something and take a good nap.”

My mind and heart wanted to keep going but I knew that I physically couldn’t. My knees would just give out again. I gave in with a slight nod and looked around at my surroundings. The mountains were a lot bigger than they had been at the gas station. The rest was just desert and a nice tree with a few rocks underneath. I pointed, “Over there.”

I forced myself to my feet, now feeling how much my legs actually ached from running for so long. I carried Cornelius in my hand, shuffling my feet along the desert floor, collapsing when we reached the rocks.

The tree’s shade felt cool against my face, my heart rate going back to its normal pace as I fell asleep.

“Bella!” Cornelius’s small voice sang, poking my cheek. I groaned, cracking my eyes open. The very first thing I noticed was how dim the light was, seeing the sun setting somewhere off in the distance.