Chapter 38

During the Abduction...

John stared at Kairi's text, for how long he didn't know. Finally, his body responded with a sharp intake of breath and he went into overdrive, running through 221B to make sure Sherlock wasn't inside just hiding from him. He sprinted out of 221B, practically skidding down the stairs. As he came to a stop, one of Mycroft's agents came out of Mrs. Hudson's home, adjusting his perfect suit and John felt rage well up inside of him.

"Open this door now!" He growled and the agent almost seemed affronted until he looked into John's eyes and felt the waves of anger rolling off of him.

The agent stepped forward and pulled out his keys. He gripped the knob and his eyes went wide as it twisted freely in his hand. He dropped the keys immediately, putting his hand to his holster to pull out his gun. John felt a coldness grip his gut as it twisted inside and he followed the agent through the flat.

When it was all clear John turned to the shaking agent, pointing a deliberate finger at him, "Go outside. Get away from me.." He spat and the agent turned on his heel and walked briskly away. John searched around, looking for clues and cursing Sherlock for being gone. He didn't find anything in the front room, but he ran into Kairi's bedroom and saw the minor disarray. Kairi wasn't a slobby person by nature, so the small amount of clothes strewed about the room was an obvious indicator of her haste. When he walked to her closet he noticed the sour-sweet smell of bile and saw the small pile of it in the corner. His hands started shaking and he looked at his phone and began to dial Sherlock again.

Remember where my heart broke.

John's eyes widened at the memory of the words became unbearably clear. He turned sharply, running out of Kairi's home and grabbing the jacket of the guard to yank him along. "Come with me."

The guard jabbered, "I'm not supposed to lea-,"

"Listen to me you fucking idiot," John growled, turning on him and glaring, his voice and presence imposing despite the height difference between him and the guard, "Right now you are so very close to having your entire life ruined. You let someone get in, or you let Kairi get out, and right now, not only is my best friend missing, but the woman he loves has been taken by a fucking psychopath." He snarled, "Give me your gun, call the fucking cavalry, because this is your one and only chance to save your own ass."

"Y-yessir." The man stuttered and pulled out his weapon, holding it out. John grasped it tightly and adjusted to the weight of it in his hand.

"Get your car now and take me to Regent's park before I change my mind and put a bullet in your fat head for possibly getting two of my closest friends killed." John said in a soft and even tone, which only scared the guard more. He ran to retrieve his vehicle.

They pulled up to Regent's park and John shot from the passenger seat, running towards Triton fountain with every ounce of strength in his body. That was where he'd seen Kairi's heart break. That's where he had hoped that he helped piece it back together. Panic, fear, and desperation were seeping out of his pores, begging his muscles to run faster as he wound down the path, his eyes narrowing for any sign of Sherlock or Kairi.

When he arrived at Triton's fountain, he heaved out a breath, finding the area empty. He scanned it quickly, not noticing anyone around and he let out a growl. He paused, regained his focus and then began jogging around the fountain until he came to rest on a sight that tore him apart.

"No..." John mumbled as he sprinted towards the limp form of Appa, "Damn, Jesus, no!" He shook his head. He wanted to kneel, to press his palm against the animal's stomach to check for his breathing but it was pointless. The dog was still as stone and surrounded by a very large pool of blood that seemed spread about by some frantic action. His heart seized and his throat closed as he turned away with a snarl. He shook his head, tears stinging at his eyes as he looked away in despondency. Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted a handgun lying not far away and he went to inspect it. He picked it up and shouted out in anger as the realized the gun was his own. Sherlock had been here.