Chapter 13: Hearts of Lies

'In every life you live my beloved child there is something you must face in order to accept the full punishment of the things you have done. That is the pain and suffering you have caused on so many innocent souls...'

          I awakened to the feeling of regret but I didn't know what it was that I regretted. I began to sit up only to notice that I wasn't in the hospital, and it suddenly hit me the past events in which I had been kidnapped by my supposed uncle. I began to look around surprised at the grandeur of the room and the decor, "do you like it?" I looked to my side suddenly surprised to see him sitting in a near by chair next to the bed, "you had an awful long nap my dear..." he closed the large old book he had been reading, and it suddenly dawned on me. "I didn't drown?...was it just a dream?" he smiled and took off his reading glasses, it was a bit of a shame seeing that he looked so handsome in them. "No it was no dream Elise, what you felt or heard were all past events deep inside of you but like I had said that cove can heal more than it can hurt; however that's not entirely true for memories can hurt." He stood up and walked closer towards me and sat at the edge and smiled, "you must be hungry?" I was going to protest that I was tired mentally that is until my stomach began to rumble, it made me blush a deep shade of red. Even more so when I realized I wasn't wearing the clothes I had been wearing before falling into the cove, "did you happen to change my clothes or is there someone here that helped me change them?" He began to laugh and covered his face with the old looking book, "what do you think my dear?" I was suddenly worried about him seeing me unconsciously naked, "you don't remember do you Elise?" I looked at him somewhat crazy, "remember what?" he chuckled a bit as he stood from the edge of the bed to walk towards the pristine white curtains to reveal a sliding door. As he opened the door the breeze suddenly hit me and the scent of the salty water mixed with the sweet fragrance of Lily of the Valley wafted thru the room making my senses go haywire for a second. I recognized it instantly my mothers clothes are impregnated with that scent although father insisted that it wasn't that flowery scent, I stood up to walk towards the balcony and I was surprised to see where I was. "Where are we?" I looked towards Heinrich as he smiled sweetly, "we are in my Villa its not far from the Cove," I was surprised by the grandeur of the beautiful seaside villa. "About my clothes...tell me who changed them?" he began to laugh in a frenzy, "why you did my dear you seemed to have been in a drunken state as you began to peel off every layer of wet clothes." I suddenly began to turn red wishing I'd never had pried any more into it, and after knowing what I had done I really wanted to disappear into the ends of the earth. "Well then Elise would you like to take a tour of my home?" I looked at his extended hand towards me for a while before I took it, "this villa was built around 1768 over the years they have been adding new things or upgrading it." I was shocked I would think this Villa was built very recently but to have such a history was truly magnificent the architecture in itself was amazing, "as you can see everything here is made from white marble imported from across the Sea," I laughed I hadn't noticed that it sure was bright white it was so blinding almost as if I was in Heaven. It suddenly hit me if my father was so rich I wondered why we lived in a normal suburban home, "Heinrich do you know everything about my family...about my parents?" He stopped conveniently in the sitting room where he motioned for me to sit, "well I've known your father since I was a child we are step brothers...as for your mother Beatrice I only met her once before she was pregnant with you and then later on at her funeral." He said it with almost no emotion at all but I couldn't say her death affected me all that much, "you look a lot like your mother..." I looked at him surprised, "strange most people think me to be my fathers daughter before my mothers." He laughed, "I really don't want to talk about my mother after all she was planning to abandon us after father lost everything of course I was only 3 years or so the memories are a bit iffy."

"How about we go to the garden?" I realized it was the only place I had't seen yet I nodded as he stood up and extended his hand to me so that I could take it. Strangely this time I didn't hesitate to take it, and so he led me to a beautiful well kept Rose garden it was unlike anything I had ever seen. The garden actually overlooked the Ocean which was beautiful the roses seemed to go on forever, I let go of his hand to go off on my own like a child in a candy store. There was so much to see there was even a rose maze, but just then Heinrich got a call and motioned for me to stay put. I really couldn't stop my curiosity or excitement as I entered the maze. I walked in not knowing how big or small it would be but it felt right going in, and I began to laugh as I ran thru meeting each and every dead end as fun as it was I finally found the right path there was a beautiful stone fountain with Angels and Sea Serpents it was an interesting fountain and beside that was a sundial that didn't seem to be telling the time.  
In a hidden beaten path that seemed to have not been used in a long time, I felt a cold and dreary feeling something in the pit of my stomach told me that I shouldn't be there. The rose hedges weren't as neatly trimmed as the rest of the garden and there was an eerie darkness looming on that part of the garden which was weird there were no trees and there were no clouds. I continued to walk considering my curiosity got the better of me and ignoring all the tiny voices in my head I saw an old picturesque gazebo over looking the ocean. I hadn't noticed that I could see it from my bedroom window just as I was walking up to it someone pulled me back, "I told you to stay put Elise?" I quickly came to my senses, "what happened?" he then began to drag me back towards the main path of the maze but before that he put up a sign that said no entry back up. I hadn't seen it lying on the floor there which was hard to ignore those big red letter more so if it had been hanging up by a chain. "Why is that area closed off?" Heinrich looked at me but didn't say anything he just kept walking forward looking back at me every once in a while to make sure I didn't go back. Although I was tempted to turn around but seeing his serious demeanor I decided to keep on moving, I didn't want to anger him for some reason. As we walked back into the villa the silence was heavy, and I decided to try and lighten the mood, "so you work for my father at his company?" He finally looked at me, "your father somewhat hunted me down to make me part of a secret project." I didn't know that "what kind of project?" he looked away, "its best if you don't know what its about although your father is doing this for your sake alone."