Chapter 1: Catastrophe

Khushi

"I have to tell Arnav-ji about Shyam-ji."

Khushi hurried down the stairs from the guest room, her mind racing. Months ago, she'd deluded herself into thinking Shyam-ji could change, that he was capable of being the husband Anjali-ji thought he was, that he wanted to be that husband. But tonight, the night of her sister's long awaited wedding, he'd shown her just how wrong she'd been.

Everything had changed.

Her instinct to protect Arnav-ji and Anjali-ji from the pain of learning the hideous truth had been dwarfed by the need to protect herself and her sister from Shyam-ji.

She needed to reveal the secret she'd hidden from the man she loved.

She needed to build this relationship they were exploring on a bedrock of honesty.

The thought of him, the man who'd once promised his support in a hospital corridor, who'd gifted her the bangles that now chimed on her wrists, who'd hinted at a proposal this very afternoon, gave Khushi the strength she needed. Though he was yet to give voice to his feelings, she trusted what he'd seen in his eyes. He'd know what to do. He'd protect her as only he could.

She pulled open a door.

"Hari—" Hari Prakash-ji rushed past without noticing her.

Fighting back tears, Khushi murmured Arnav-ji's name in a litany as she continued her search, now heading towards his bedroom. A terrible fear gripped her heart, some premonition taking hold and half convincing her that something would go horribly wrong if she didn't find him before the ceremony.

He has to know so he can protect Jiji. She'll be living under his roof from tonight.

And maybe ... hopefully .... she would soon join her sister.

Khushi paused at the doors to his bedroom, taking a moment to compose herself. She tried to still the tremble of her hands. Her heart hammered so fast it was painful.

Please help me, Devi Maiyya.

She pushed the door open without knocking, a relieved breath leaving her when she registered his form standing at the foot of the bed. Stepping inside, she closed the door with a gentle click.

Only now, in the sanctuary of his bedroom, did she allow herself to feel. The revulsion of Shyam-ji's touch, the horror of his words and intentions, the helplessness she'd felt as he'd held her. She trembled, her hands visibly shaking when she spread them out in front of her.

"Arnav-ji, I have ... I have to tell you something," she curled her fingers into a fist.

As her mind tried to process the chaos of the last hour, she became acutely aware of the danger she'd been in. It had only been Shyam-ji's belief in his love for her that'd stopped him from going further on the terrace, but she knew from the bruises he'd left on the Sangeet night that he was capable of more, much more.

She felt cold, as if she would never be warm again.

"Arnav-j—" she sobbed, taking three quick steps towards him before realising that something was amiss.

Because he had not moved.

He remained still and silent at the foot of his bed, his eyes shadowed.

Her steps faltered, "What's wro—"

"Don't you dare."

His hands were fisted at his sides.

She frowned in confusion, coming to a standstill some three paces from him. "Arnav-ji?"

"Get out!"

"But—"

There was a blur of movement, and then she was pressed against the wall of his bedroom, his hands gripping her upper arms. He shook with barely controlled rage.

"I. Said. GET OUT!!"

Khushi froze in shock.

"Before I do something I'll regret," Arnav-ji continued, his tone low and furious, "Get the fuck out."

It occurred to her to be afraid but the sight of this man in pain had always eclipsed all other concerns. She twisted, trying to loosen his grip. His hands tightened.

"What happened?" she ignored the quaver in her voice.

"I saw. I saw you on the terrace."

The world seemed to spin, and suddenly she was glad for the wall at her back and the fingers that dug into her skin because without them she might have fallen to the ground. Her body tried to stiffen in fear and sag with relief all at once.

It was over.

He knew.

"I'm ... oh ... Arnav-ji I'm ... I didn't want ... and he ..." her words faded into an incoherent mumble as she sobbed her fear and regret.

"I saw you, you were ..." he gave no indication that he'd heard her, "It's disgusting! You were in his ... his arms, and he ... he said ..."

She hiccuped, heart pounding, "If you heard then you know ..."

"That you asked him to leave my Di." his voice rose again, "You're his mistress, he's cheating on Di with you!"

"N-no," Khushi gasped, "Arnav-ji, no! You didn't hear ... you didn't hear anything else?"

"I didn't need to!" he shook her so hard her teeth seemed to rattle, "How could you? You betrayed us all. Di welcomed you with open arms, my family showers you with their love, and all this time ..."

She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to quell the despair that rose within her, "You have to listen to me, I didn't ask him to leave Anjali-ji, I was just—"

"I saw you with my own eyes, Khushi. Your game is over. I'm exposing you both and your vulgar plans right now!"

He clamped a hand over her wrist, pressing against the wound he'd bandaged the night before. His eyes turned even colder when she winced in pain.

"You deserve this."

Khushi struggled against him as he dragged her towards the door, but he was unrelenting.

"Arnav-ji, please, I didn't want ..." she clawed at his arm, "I'd never betray Anjali-ji ..."

He froze. "Don't you dare take her name. Not after all the despicable and vile things you've done."

"I haven't done anything! You don't understand ... Shyam-ji said—"

"— I understand enough!" Arnav-ji snarled as he pushed her roughly against the doors.

"He told you that he ... and you say you've done nothing?" he struck the glass next to her head, and she flinched away, "Tell me, Khushi, why was he telling you that his marriage is meaningless if you haven't done anything?"

"Because he tricked us. He came into our house as a paying guest and deceived us, saying he was unmarried. He forced an engagement when Babu-ji got sick, an engagement I broke off when I found out."