Chapter 23: Chhote

Khushi

"Babua, this party is just so grand!" Bua-ji gushed, gesturing appreciatively at the organised chaos surrounding them, "Do you host it every year?"

"Di hosts it every year," Arnav-ji replied softly, "I only supply the grounds."

"Ahh, and here she is!"

Anjali-ji — No, Di! — joined their small circle and exchanged greetings with the elders. She held a hand protectively over her belly.

"Chhote!" Di studied her brother with exaggerated concern, "Have you taken ill? What are you doing?"

Arnav-ji leaned away as she tried to take his temperature, "Di!"

"You must be very sick," Di giggled, "I thought you'd spend the day inside, as always."

"It's not like ..."

"No," his sister grinned, "I see how it is. A new bride, new in-laws, new Chhote."

Laughter rippled through their audience as Arnav-ji grimaced. Di enveloped them both in a warm embrace, "This is your first Holi with us, Khushi-ji, I'm very happy Chhote is with you."

It was only when Di had turned her attention to Jiji and Jija-ji that Arnav-ji spoke directly to Khushi.

"Khushi, are you okay?"

"Yes," Khushi replied in undertone, using the sleeve of his shirt to guide him a few steps away, "Why are you ... I mean ... you said ..."

"Your phone is in the bedroom, charging where you left it."

Her confused question died on her lips as she remembered the excuse she'd used to escape from Shyam-ji.

"You heard?"

"I saw," her husband corrected, "and I will not allow him near you."

A burst of relief swept through her at his words.

"Arnav-ji ... I ..."

"Nani!" Anjali-ji's happy call diverted Khushi's attention to where Nani-ji stood, speaking to some of her guests, "Let's go, she'll be very happy to see that you all came."

Arnav-ji started to follow Di across the grounds.

"I'll see you later," Khushi waved.

"What?"

"I have a surprise for Nani-ji. I think she'll like it."

#####

"Khushi-bitiya, Bua-ji has named you aptly: Sanka Devi."

Khushi stood, still dressed in the men's kurta and holding a fake moustache, and engulfed the other woman in a hug.

"That's enough," Nani-ji wiped her tears, "Enough crying. We're going to play Holi. But look, your face remains bare even though your clothes are coloured!"

"Yes, yes saasu-ma!" Mami-ji shouted with glee, "Drown this Phati Sari in colours!"

Khushi squealed, trying to break free of Nani-ji's unexpectedly strong grip, "No, no Nani-ji!"

"You're absolutely right, Nani-ji!" Khushi froze as the hated voice drifted to her, "it won't do for her to celebrate Holi without colours."

Khushi's heart hammered as Shyam-ji strode confidently towards her, menace in every step. Her legs felt suddenly weak as he snatched a platter of powder from a nearby table. Red again, and this time she knew it was no accident. It was a message that only she could understand. Revulsion and fear coursed in her veins, mingled with disbelief that he would try this here, in front of both their families.