Chapter 27: Catering

Khushi

Khushi smoothed her hands over the pink salwaar suit she wore, adjusted her dupatta, and then stepped out into the corridor. Arnav-ji had gone out for a jog, and she was on her way to the morning puja.

"Good morning, Khushi-ji," Di greeted her brightly, "Can you please help with this?"

Skipping to Di's side with a smile, she helped with the puja preparations as the rest of the family filtered into the temple area. But she was distracted from her prayers by the return of her husband and watched as he murmured something to Om Prakash-ji before making his way towards the stairs. He slowed as he neared the temple and inclined his head in her direction in a silent greeting. His damp hair fell into his eyes. Her tummy swooped low as her cheeks and neck heated with a blush.

Hai Devi Maiyya, he's so handsome.

Khushi tried to concentrate on her prayers after shaking that errant thought out of her head, but it felt as though every fibre of her being was waiting for him to return. She was setting the table when he did, and her pulse stuttered when she saw that he was showered and dressed for work in blue and black.

They'd made progress last night. Or ... if not progress ... then they'd set their feet on a new path. Together. They had come to an understanding and were finally on the same page, a realization that inspired the nervous-excited flutter inside her.

"He told me you never wanted me. That all of it — the kiss, the dance, the earring — it was all a lie. A deception."

And here — finally — was a problem she could fix.

She couldn't beg him to trust, couldn't conjure up evidence to prove her innocence, couldn't force Shyam-ji into revealing himself. But she could show Arnav-ji that she wanted him. That she'd always wanted him, even when she hadn't known it herself.

Rounding the table, Khushi stood at her husband's side and began buttering toast for him. When he reached for the orange juice, looking amused by this change her routine, she hurriedly dropped the toast on his plate before grabbing the jug.

"What the—!"

"I'll do it," she smiled while pouring it into his glass, "You eat."

He grabbed her wrist and forced her into the chair beside him, "Sit. Eat."

A ripple of laughter travelled around the table as Di leaned forward, "Chhote, you're very concerned about your wife this morning."

Arnav-ji glowered at his sister and bit into his toast without comment. But a few minutes later, when everyone else was distracted by something Mami-ji said, he flashed a smile in her direction. After breakfast, Khushi followed her husband upstairs to help get his things together for work.

"I hope your day goes well," she handed him his phone after unplugging it from where he'd left it to charge.

He pocketed it distractedly, "Thanks, take care of yourself."

Khushi, be brave.

Arnav-ji looked up as she took a step forward, finally giving her all of his attention when they were close enough to touch. She didn't stop. He seemed to freeze as she wound her arms around his torso and rested her head against his shoulder.

Their embrace wasn't long. Khushi stepped away, trying to hide her blush behind her hair.

And her husband broke their not-quite-awkward silence, "Come to the door with me?"

#####

Khushi sighed as she watched Di knit something for her Rajkumari. He hadn't kissed her at the front door, but he'd smiled and squeezed her hand in farewell before leaving.