Chapter 4: Casualty

Khushi

"I will stay, in this house, under this roof, but only if you marry me."

"What utter fucking nonsense."

It seemed that not even the great ASR had expected the proposition.

Or proposal, as it were.

Khushi tried to explain, "This way I can stay with Jiji and you can make sure that I don't hurt Anjali-ji."

And you can protect us both from Shyam-ji.

"What the hell are you saying?"

"Come to the house tomorrow and ask for my hand. They'll arrange it all quickly, especially if you tell Anjali-ji that you want it done as soon as possible."

"Are you out of your mind?" Arnav-ji pushed her into a wall, teeth gritted as his careful control seemed to slip away, "What is this? A distraction? A way to keep me occupied so you and Shyam can plan to run away?"

"No!" she took a deep breath, "Look, you said that the only way I can remain here is if I live in this house. I am agreeing, but with this one condition."

He searched her eyes, and whatever he found there made him step away. "You're serious."

Khushi nodded, "Don't you see? Shyam-ji will torment Jiji if I disappear, he'll make her life a living Hell. I can't leave."

"And if you marry someone else?"

"He'll see that I don't want ... That I ch-chose someone e-else."

"That you chose me?"

Arnav-ji closed his eyes but not before she saw the conflict that shone there. Her heart dared to hope as he took three deep breaths. His calm returned.

"Not tomorrow. If we do this, we do it tonight."

"But ..."

He grabbed her wrist, twisting her so she could see the altar inside. She hissed in pain as he spoke. "Either you're innocent and you'll do anything to protect your sister, or you're trying to buy time so you can destroy Di. Choose. Now."

"No. I can't ... not like this."

"Then leave. I'll write you a blank cheque."

He released her to stride away.

The world seemed to reduce to just this moment, this poolside decorated with fairy lights and his retreating figure. Her heart twisted in agony. She forced her mind to play it out, to consider leaving her sister at Shyam-ji's mercy. Aakash-ji would protect her, and Arnav-ji would eventually destroy the hold Shyam-ji had over Anjali-ji. But her heart rebelled, refusing to let her sister come to harm because of her own inability to tell the truth all those months ago.

"Wait."

He stopped. Turned. Returned to her side, expression unreadable.

Khushi made the impossible choice, "Yes. I'll marry you tonight."

The words seemed to sap the little strength that remained in her body. She lost the battle against her tears, sobbing into her hands as he watched, seemingly unaffected. Then she swayed, her knees buckling unexpectedly, but caught herself on the small table beside her.

When she looked up, Arnav-ji was running a hand through his hair, "They're still waiting."

She nodded, "I'm ready."

Instead of leading the way as she'd expected, he proffered a handkerchief, "Tidy yourself up, it will look bad enough when we return without your tears."