Chapter 34: Catalyst

Khushi

"Did you think I wasn't doing anything about Shyam?"

A sense of foreboding. "Well ... you never said ..."

"That man ruined our lives," Arnav-ji's voice rose. "He betrayed Di and he misbehaved with you. I have to do something."

"I ... I know ... but—"

"—But what, Khushi?"

"He's t-the father of Di's ch-child."

Arnav-ji's mouth twisted in distaste, "That child will be better off without him."

She watched as he gathered up his files, processing his words in their silence.

"How can you say that?" she asked when he stood next to her again. "If Babu-ji hadn't taken me in, who knows what ... and you ... you ..."

Look at how much your father's actions have hurt you.

But she trailed away, remembering all too late that he didn't know what Di had revealed about their parents.

"What about me?" he prompted.

"And you ..." Khushi released a shaky breath, "... you know how much this will hurt Di."

Arnav-ji closed his eyes briefly, pausing as he reached for his phone. "I'll take care of Di. She'll be fine. We need to rid our lives of his poison."

"This will hurt everybody," Khushi sat on the edge of their bed. "Jiji and Jija-ji. Nani-ji, Mami-ji, Mama-ji."

He came to kneel at her side and took her hands in his.

"I was going to tell Di that night itself. But then ... her pregnancy ... for a while I didn't know what to do. But I promised Di a long time ago that I'll always take care of her. I need to do this."

She bit her lip, a thousand worries spilling over in her heart, but one truth was undeniable.

"I trust you," she squeezed his hands. "I'll be with you every step of the way."

Arnav-ji used gentle fingers to brushed away her tears and kissed her temple as he stood. She held his bag on the way downstairs, her eyes finding her family still gathered around the dining table.

Everyone's so happy.

Her husband pulled her into his arms as soon as the front door closed behind them. He inhaled deeply.

"It's going to be okay. I'll take care of everything."

Khushi cuddled into him, "I know."

#####

Arnav-ji wasn't in his cabin when Khushi arrived there in the lunch hour. Gesturing to the peon to set down the plates and glasses he carried, she made their meal ready as she waited. With her dabbas distributed and orders for the next day taken, she had the afternoon free. The intervening hours had brought with them a sense of calm — her mind understood that her hope of Shyam-ji mending his ways and becoming a true member of their family was all but lost, but her heart still shied away from the thought of causing Di any hurt.

Arriving a few minutes later, Arnav-ji took in the spread without comment as he wrapped his hands around her waist to pull her close from behind.

"Someone will see," she fretted, looking around.

He ignored her protest, "Will you smile for me now?"

"Wh-what?"

Tipping her chin with two fingers, he forced her to meet his eyes, "I don't like seeing you sad."