Chapter 10: Taunting Heaven, Dreamy Hell

All Rights Reserved

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 10: Taunting Heaven Dreamy Hell

Once settled at the dinner table I couldn’t help but notice that you could cut the tension in there with a knife, and not just a small knife either, more like a machete.

No one spoke and no one made a move to fill their plates either.

Getting hungry and tired of their annoying games of silence, I reached forward and started to fill my plate, beginning a trend.

Lydia broke the tense silence, “So how was everybody’s day?”… and the tension is back.

All of the boys looked around at each other, then shrugged simultaneously. I rolled my eyes at their ridiculousness, “Well, my day was good. Finally got rid of all the pink.” I stated with a grimace, and whole body shudder.

“That’s great Jesse! But please tell me that someone helped you.” Lydia just about pleaded.

“Uh, ya. I mean, I moved the furniture and started painting and all of that, but then Leland came by and…helped, and entertained.” I said thinking of the paint war.

I laughed at the memory and was engulfed with Adam’s voice, yay, “Entertained huh?” he asked with a suggestive tone. I mustered up the face to let him know that I wasn’t impressed with the accusation.

“Anyway, Jesse I was thinking that since you painted the room so late in the day, it won’t be dry by the end of the night so you need a place to sleep. I was thinking that you could sleep on the couch in one of the boys’ room. Then I thought about how I am supposed to be a role model and responsible guardian and thought twice. So if you don’t mind you’re gonna have to sleep on the couch in the living room.” She said placing her hands crossed on the table in front of her.

I pondered it and can honestly say that I didn’t care. I shrugged my shoulders and nodded nonchalantly.

 “Great!” Corey said with fake enthusiasm, “Now on to more important information. Since we were busy getting the house girl, proof and appropriate,” he said giving me a pointed look, to which I smiled hugely, “we missed out on the Fourth of July party. I’m going to assume that we are going to want to make up for that lost time. So I was thinking-“

“Did it hurt?” stifled Leland; snarky. The boys and I laughed, Lydia and Mathew both gave pointed looks, and Leland looked around at his parents uncaring about their disapproving glares.

“As I was saying, I was thinking that we could have the party on Saturday. Set up music and food outside the house and have everyone over. You know the average party.” He said nodding as he spoke.

Lydia nodded, a smile on her face.

The rest of the dinner’s conversations went on like that and I have to admit that I am still very foreign to this environment. It was so extremely strange to have a family discussion at the table, I found.

Once dinner was over, I headed back up to my newly painted green room. In that, I found peace. The colour green has always relaxed and calmed me.

I walked over to the window to the left of the room and picked up my half full glass of water and took a sip looking out the window to the backyard. I never noticed it before. It was definitely big enough to use to host this annual party, with its wide and long grassed area, a large wooden deck, a hot tub and a pool.

As I looked across the deck again in took notice of the swing that Leland I had been occupying and I was suddenly bombarded with our conversation from before dinner.