Maya's Leaving?

Riley's P.O.V

Mum asked to speak with me and Farkle after school which was weird since we would always talk with Maya with us. Maya told us she had to go straight home today, which was even more weird since Maya never goes home earlier.

I decided to shrug it off, after school me and Farkle headed to Topangas cafe where mum wanted to met us at. Once we got there we saw mum, dad, Auggie, Shawn and Uncle Josh.

"What's going on?" I asked as Farkles grabbed my hand. We knew something was happening.

"Sit down" my dad said. Me and Farkle sat down and waited for the big news

"So what's happening?" Farkle asked, I braced myself for the storm coming, when everyone was gathered something bad must've happened.

"Maya has to move away for a while" my mum said. My eyes started watering and my vision was blurry from the tears that were streaming down my face. She's leaving? Why didn't she tell me?

"Why?" I asked and my voice cracked

"her and her mum have to go visit someone" my dad lied.

"I know your lying." I said. Maya has talked to me about how the only family she has left is her mum and her grandma who lives with them.

"How long will they be gone?" Farkle asked "a few years" Shawn said.

"What!?" I almost screamed

"Katy said they might be gone for years. But maya left this for you" mum said and she handed me and Farkle a letter each. It had the initials M.H on it. There was a heart in the corner and a little note at the bottom.

'Don't open until you've lost all hope'

I stared at the letter. Trying to figure out what the note at the bottom meant.

"It means don't open the letter until you've completely lost hope of Maya coming home" Farkle said,

"mine says the same" he added.

"So we're just supposed to wait for Maya to come back?" I asked Farkle grabbed my hand tighter and I calmed down

"I know this is a tough thing to understand but we need to pull through this. Together" my mum said.

She grabbed ahold of my other hand

"can you do that for me?" My mum asked

"yeah" I said. Me and Farkle decided to head home while everyone else stayed at the bakery and talked. Me and Farkle had school tomorrow and I wanted to rest.

~the next day~

When I arrived at school the next day I saw Maya's empty seat. My stomach felt like a Not and I sat down in my seat. I looked at the seat behind Maya's. That seat was always empty. I turned behind me to see Farkle smiling at me.

My dad walked in and started the lesson like normal. But halfway through the lesson the classroom door opened and a tall boy walked in.

"Are you the new student?" My dad asked

"yes" the boy said.

"Lucas Friar am I right?" My dad asked,

"Yes Sir" the boy said

"take a seat". My dad said said. He headed for Maya's seat I wanted to tell him not to but I couldn't be rude

"please not there" Farkle said. Lucas looked at Farkle

"I-it's our friends. Shes coming back, I just don't know when" Farkle said.

"I understand" Lucas said he sat in the seat behind Maya's seat.

"I'm lazy so you guys can talk for the rest of the lesson" my dad said and he left.

"So... what's your friends name?" Lucas asked

"Maya" I said before Farkle had the chance to say anything.

"I'm Riley. By the way. Riley Matthews" I added

"Maya is my best friend." I said

"so why'd she leave?" Lucas asked