39 | fatherly advice

Marinette's POV

I opened the door to the bakery, letting the small bell jingle as I closed it behind me. My parents were no where to be seen down below, so I continued my way up towards our apartment above.

I opened the front door to my home, only to find my father seated on the couch, watching one of his programs. My mother was no where to be seen.

"Tikki?" I whispered to make sure my father would not here me, and she popped her head out from my purse to look at me. "Should I ask mama or papa?"

"It's your choice," came Tikki's reply, "Whoever you feel more comfortable with."

I felt comfortable with both of my parents equally, but wouldn't this be something a girl would tell their mom first? However, my mother was no where to be seen, and I needed advice now.

I really do regret not going to my parents first for advice instead of letting myself get akumatized from the start.

So, I walked up towards where my father was and took a seat beside him.

He immediately noticed my presence and turned down the volume on his remote, "Hey sweetie," he turned his head to look at me and smiled, "How was your day?"

"I need some advice, papa." I admitted, my eyes slowly leaving his to focus on my lap.

He noticed my uneasiness and sat up straighter, turning all his attention away from the t.v. "What's wrong Mari?" He asked me.

"Well," I breathed, finally taking all the courage I had to look up at him. "Some time ago I-I told Adrien that I liked him—"

"Did you now?" He interrupted with a fond smile. "Well, I'll be darned sweetie, I didn't think you had it in you. Congratulations."

However, what my father didn't know was that this was no celebration.

I frowned slightly, and that's when his smile disappeared, "Ah... so he didn't respond like you'd hoped then." Her feather said somewhat sadly. "Did he say something to hurt you?" He then asked seriously, once seeing the look on my face.

"Sort of," I murmured, "He told me he didn't like me in that way."

"And it just really hurt papa," I continued before he could say anything to that, and my tears were threatening to spill again, but I did my best to hold them back. "I really like Adrien, and I just don't understand what is it about me that doesn't satisfy his eyes."

"Oh, Mari, sweetie, that's not true." My father tried to comfort me, wrapping his large arms around me to bring me into a warm hug. I cried into his chest, hugging him back and seeking his comfort.

"Mari," he spoke again as he hugged me. "You are a beautiful, young lady. You are talented, brave, smart, funny, and best of all, my daughter. And let me tell you this..." He continued as he pulled away from our hug to look me in the eye. "...things like this happen all the time. There will be times when the people we love will hurt us the most, intentionally or not. But that doesn't make you any less of a person."

"So, what do I do papa?" I asked, wiping a year away from under my eye. "How do I get over him?"

"It can take time to get over a crush," he admitted, sighing almost sadly. "But, think of it this way. When he rejected you, my dearest, he rejected life itself. Because you, you are the most beautiful, young, lady I've ever known. Adrien is going to miss out."

I giggled at that, and he chuckled. My father always knew how to make me feel better. "Thanks papa."

"Of course," he smiled, hugging me once more.