Princess of Shadows

Spell Caster sat on the dark wood carved for her throne. The skillfully carved dimpled wood was made smooth after months of work. On the ends of the armrests the crests were beautifully carved.

The sight was imposing especially with Spell Caster sitting on it. She was only five foot something but with the black leather bodice and almost black skirt, along with angle boot heels and her hair combed out along with the front sections pulled back into a tiny bun she looked terrifying.

Surprisingly she wore an almost smiling expression. Normally she did look pleasant, but never ever smiling.

Several Shadow children played in the throne room while their mothers watched. They did their duties and stopped watching them after a while. They were noisy and rude to each other but Spell Caster had insisted they needn't be shut out. They played with two balls and passed it to each other.

They got rougher and rougher with their game until one of the balls whizzed past Spell Caster's head and crashed into her tankard, sending the pale blue glass onto the floor and shattering.

The mothers spun around and Spell Caster stood to clean up the mess. A few of the children ran up to help as their lackeys were being scolded by their parents.

"I'm sorry, your highness. I didn't mean to kick it so hard." one of the eldest boys said.

"It's alright, and you needn't call me 'your highness' or anything else formal until your fifteen...And even then you can be aloof with it. You should know that by now." Spell Caster replied softly.

The boy looked surprised then remembered. "Oh. I forgot....Spell Caster."

He smirked at her playful flick on the shoulder and some of the maids rushed over after they were finished.

"You needn't have cleaned that up yourself, your majesty!" one of the maids clucked.

"I didn't want to just sit there while you cut yourselves up. You don't heal as I do." Spell Caster answered.

The maid was flustered. "But what else am I do to than serve? My mother didn't raise me this way for nothing."

"I know, I know...I should have thought of your mother...Again...But your quickness to solve my problems is...Frustrating."

"Frustrating is an understatement...Especially when it comes to you, mi'lady." the maid answered.

Spell Caster laughed. "Then we've come to an agreement!"

The children were shooed out of the room as Twist entered.

"Spell Caster, we have someone requested an audience."

"Whom? Shadow?" Spell Caster drawled.

"No. Someone who isn't willing to wait." Twist answered.

"Then let whomever it is in." Spell Caster said, sitting down again.

Twist left and came back with a hooded figure.

"So Twisting Shadow informs me you request an audience, what is the purpose of it?"

"I knew the Princess of Shadow's was a cold bitch," a gasp erupted from the maids scattered about, "but never this cold."

Spell Caster's head rose in warning. "And why should I waste my time with someone who is unwilling to remove their hood?"

The person growled an answer then pulled away it's hood.

Spell Caster shot to her feet and smiled. "The Guardian of Time herself? Where's the rest of them?"

"They aren't here. I am through with their treachery." Tania answered.

Spell Caster smirked and descended from her throne. "Why should I believe you?"

Tania's eyes revealed fear. But no deception. She would not be afraid if an ambush was hidden in her stronghold. "Because I bring news of the twin daughters of evil."

Spell Caster rolled her eyes. "And what news would that be?"

"I will tell you, only if you promise to make me like your army of darkness."

Spell Caster paused. Truly she was unsure, then she thought of a way. A painless way...

"Deal. Although I may not be able to perform it on a living being and not out of spirits. But I will dearly try...Even if you must become my queen to survive."

Tania paused in horror. She couldn't be serious? Her queen? But they were women!

She gulped and delivered the news she'd promised.

"Luna awoke this morning screaming her sister was gone. It turns out Norah had left to go on her own sometime during the night. Where? I have no idea." Tania said, praying that Spell Caster would not claim she was lying.

"You've earned your reward...Twist, take Tania to my room. I will meet you there soon...After I talk with Shadowfire. Understood?"

Twist nodded and grabbed Tania's elbow lightly. She led her away and Spell Caster made a brisk pace towards Shadowfire's office.

Her captain of the guard. Twist's brother was the perfect fit for the role as he had run the kingdom after his father had died--During the dark period before Spell Caster had been revealed as the heir.

She entered without warning and Shadowfire looked up.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I want double shifts on the border watches, and cave watches. Plus I want a guard outside my room tonight, I will not be interrupted from nine to nine tomorrow, understood?"

"Why the sudden shift?"

"Shadow and Crimson have screwed with the universe and look here, we're back where we belong in the original timeline! Just in case they know where we are, Shadowfire. Can I trust you with something?"

"What, because I will trade my life to keep your secrets, you know that."

"I'm scared...I know, it's childish, but it's hard...!"

"If it will make you feel better, should I triple the shift?"

"To whatever you please. I have a guest, if you were wondering. And she wanted to become one of the mutants."
"Who the hell would be that ridiculous? You don't know how to do that."

"The Guardian of Time. And I don't have to turn her into a mutant, well, I could bond with her."

"Are you serious? You haven't done that since...Crimson...And we all know how that worked out."
"I broke that years ago. I'm glad the asshole is branded with my symbol forever...I have to go. Please do as I asked?"

"As you wish, Spell Caster. See you."

"See you tomorrow."

_______________________________________________________

Super tired chapter. And this was going a whole different direction earlier. Then my tired brain happened...And Katy Perry's "I Kissed A Girl".