Chapter 5

You wake up in a dimly lit room. As your eyes adjust to the lighting you notice the metal frame work and you sit up confused. "why am I on a fire navy ship?" you wonder. When you sit up a damp wash cloth falls off your forehead onto your lap. "hu? It's like somebody has been looking after me while I was out."

The door to the room opens and Zuko steps in. he closes the door and smiles a little bit when he sees your awake. "oh good I was hoping you would wake up soon. How was your nap?"

"how long was I out?" you question.

"the whole night... it's 10am now." Zuko nods. "don't worry you didn't miss much. We did steal one of Zhao's ships though." He motions towards the room. "I hope you don't get sea sick easily."

"nah I'm fine with water." You reply stretching your arms over your head. "reminds me of when I left the fire nation."

"yeah me too." Zuko grins leaning against the wall. "so how do you feel?"

"right now?" you question looking at your hands. "honestly the only thing that hurts is the burn." You look at your bandaged arm and remember the burn you had received while fighting Zhao.

After a moment of silence Zuko glances at you again and frowns. "you didn't tell me you had a lack of fighting experience."

"was it that noticeable?" you frown.

"not to the untrained eye. But yes I could easily tell that you didn't really know what you were getting into." Zuko looks at the door. "when you feel up to it I will personally teach you bending styles."

"styles?" you question.

"uncle thinks your problem is you're just doing the movements but you don't actually have a style." Zuko replies. "I've been thinking about ways to help and I believe I may have come up with a shadow bending style that might help you not only save energy but also bend to your fullest potential."

"well I should be greatful then." You chuckle.

Zuko nods a bit. After another few moments of silence he looks at you again. "Uncle is busy right now manning the ship but um... if you want some tea I've seen him make it enough times..."

"that would be lovely." You lean your back against the wall. "why are you being so nice to me all a sudden?"

"well after the third time you helped me I started thinking..." Zuko heats up tea in a cup using his fire bending. "maybe it would benefit both of us if you stayed with me. that way if either of us find the avatar then we both find him."

"I guess that's true." You nod accepting the tea from Zuko. "but just because you're being friendly now doesn't mean I'm going to want to go back to the fire nation."

"that's fine." Zuko nods. "I wouldn't want to go be a slave either."

"so you'll just let me leave whenever I want?" you question.

Zuko nods. "might as well... I wouldn't want to see you hurt after all the times you've helped me yesterday."

"seems we finally agree on something." You smirk sipping the tea. "fabulous."

"thanks." Zuko smirks. "I've been practicing."