Chapter 27

Jesse

I watched as the world zoomed past me. The green trees a blur as the car passed them. The knock on the door at school had been the attendance lady say our parents were there to pick us up. She didn't say anything about the tears streaked down everyone's face. She just watched us telling us we had to go. I was pushed into my own car and away from the chance to see Rebecca. "Jesse, I'm sorry I didn't let you go with them, but I don't think it's the right time." My mother sat in the front seat begging me for forgiveness.

"Then when is the right time?" I combed through my blonde hair that was drenched in sweat. Was I that nervous in the room?My mother didn't respond as she pulled the car into the driveway. The gray house that stood in front of me looked foreign.

"Sweetheart, I just don't want you to get hurt. Seeing her would have brought you pain." Her voice was soft and understanding. I didn't want to have this conversation. I pushed the door open and stepped out of the car. Bile rose in my throat as I put my hands on my knees to lower myself to the ground. The world was still a blur through my eyes. It was passing by me at breakneck speed, and I couldn't begin to comprehend what was going on.

I slowly walked away from my front door, towards the bridge. It wasn't that far away, maybe ten minutes. I felt like a zombie as I walked towards the river. My feet were slow and I couldn't seem to get anywhere. The cold air was damp with moisture from the coming rain. The Bridge was surrounded by police tape that was beginning to fall down. No one was anywhere near the site.

I ducked under the yellow, sagging tape and pretty much slid down the hill. It was muddy and I knew I would have to walk across the river to get back up the hill. The river was flowing much better than it had been the past week. The water was clear and running smoothly even with piles of wood sacked near it. I sat down on the bank of the river and watched as it flowed over the rocks and pebbles. I don't know how long i sat there staring into the clear water, but in however long it had been a person had made their way down the hill.

"Jesse, What are you doing here son?" i turned around to see Mr. Jonson walking towards me. I didn't respond, I didn't even know why I was there. "Son, it's 6 P.M. Your parent must be worried." And they probably were. I shrugged by continued staring at the river.

"Have you concluded what happened to her?" I asked, my voice was hoarse as I spoke.

" She ran because she didn't understand or like what she was feeling. She left a letter in the mailbox over there." I looked to where his finger was pointing, a small wooden mailbox stood at a slant. "Based on the rain, she couldn't get back up the hill so she crossed the river. I have a feeling she was scared and needed help, so she started to call for help, but that damn tree house fell on top of her. Case closed." i nodded, then clutched my stomach as I puked into the river. I felt so weak.

"Let's get you home. Tomorrow I'll pick you up to go see her." I let Mr. Jonson help me up off the ground. My head was pounding in pain as he walked me across the cold water and up the hill to his car.