Chapter 29

James

James took a breath as Jesse walked through to the hospital doors next to his father. Why was James' father trying to help a liar? "Sit down." jesse nodded and sat down next to James. His blue eyes were rimmed lightly with red. Had he been crying? James grabbed Rain's hand and kissed her knuckles. "It'll be alright." he coaxed her softly. Rain didn't nodded and a tear slid down her cheek.

James listened into a conversation that Rebecca's Parents were having with a doctor. Their eyes were puffy and red, and their clothes looked like they hadn't been changed in weeks. "I'm sorry but we've been doing tests and it looks like those pieces on wood broke her back. If she ever wakes up, she probably won't be able to walk." james froze on the word If. She was going to wake up. Right? Was she in that bad of condition?

"She is going to be alright, Right?" Rebecca's mother sounded unsure of herself. Her voice was hoarse and squeaky as she asked.

"There is a good chance that she won't make it. That is why we are allowing visiting at the moment." James could feel his heart stop. A good chance? What did that mean. James watched as the doctor dressed in a stereotypical white coat walked over to the three teenagers sitting in the large leather chairs.

"One of you can come in." James watched as Rain sprang out of her chair ad barged into the room. The door closed softly behind her, but the sound echoing through the empty halls. James walked over to the door and waited. They each only had fifteen minutes at most to talk to her. Probably how much time she has left. James shunned the idea away and thought good thoughts. Rebecca's smile, her short hair.

It seemed like a lifetime before Rain emerged from the door. "She looks like death." James walked past Rain feeling horrible for not helping her through her pain. When he entered the white room, he saw that Rain had been right. Rebecca looked like death. Her face was ghost white, and she had about fifty blankets covering her.

"Hey Becca."James walked over to where she lay on the white bed. All of the white making him sick. "I heard the doctor say you were gonna die, so I'm gonna say something that I thought I'd have forever to say. And even though I read your letter and you already know this I'm going to say it." James grabbed Rebecca's hand, it was cold to the touch. "I love you a lot, so can you promise me not to die?" James cringed at the sound of his voice. The sentence had sounded better in his head. Her ghostly white eyes stayed closed as he pressed his lips to hers. Her lips were cold and dry. James felt a tear drip down his face.

"Please live." James walked out of the room. Even though it had only been a few minutes with her, he couldn't handle the pain he felt. When he walked into, James reached out for Rain, and allowed her to hug him. Her body heat warming him to the soul.