Part 9

Even makeup couldn’t hide what I saw. Recent cuts just above her eye squeezed their way from under the powder making themselves visible. A bruise was the cuts base, it looked so painful. I quickly tore my eyes away from the sight realizing I had been staring. She kept a smile painted on her face, “Come on, I don’t bite.” Lacey joked, opening the door signally me to enter. Yeah, maybe you don’t, but your husband could.

“Where does your husband work?” I asked, placing my bag by the kitchen counter. Lacey’s expression immediately dropped,

“He works at an office.”

“Oh.”

“Anyways, your room is down that hall, last one to the left.” Lacey pointed, “Dinner is at five.” I nodded and travelled down the long walkway with multiple rooms on each side.

The door squeaked when it opened, the room was completely white, and the only furniture in there was a large double bed. White closet doors camouflaged into the walls, I pulled the two apart, revealing a closet the size of another room. I jumped at the sound of the closet doors closing behind me. “Hey!” I yelled, struggling to get out.

“Shut it.” Lacey’s voice demanded, “He’s home, and you’re here early, he doesn’t like surprises, you can leave in half an hour when you’re supposed to be here.” Her voice trembled. Footsteps got quieter and quieter, and then were out of hearing range. I pulled out my phone and sat in the corner.

An incoming call interrupted my twitter scrolling, seeing Jace’s name on the screen made my heart warm. “Hey.” I whispered, a huge smile was stuck on my face.

“How’s the new place?” Jace’s voice was soft; I pictured the boy lying on his bed, resting his head in his hand leaning to one side.

“Beautiful.” I hardly seen the place, considering I’ve been locked in a closet the whole time I’ve entered the house.

“I miss you already.” He said quietly, matching his voice with my dynamics. We’ve only been close for a couple days, but I felt like he could be ‘the one’. There was no possible way I could wipe the smile off my face even if I tried. God did this boy ever give me butterflies.

“It’s only been five hours since I saw you last.” I giggled, nudging into the corner, longing it to be Jace who I was leaning in to.

“Five painful, heart wrenching hours. I’d like to notify you that you are an hour away from me right now, and that’s killer just to think about.” God, those butterflies.

“It shouldn’t be for long,” I reassured, “Hopefully my mom will be found soon.”

“If I was with you I’d give you a huge hug.” I could sense Jace’s smile on the other end, I twirled the ends of my dark hair.

“I am in need of one of those right now.” I sighed, keeping my voice to a low whisper.

“Why are you being so quiet?” A rasp appeared in his voice making goose bumps rise onto my skin.

“I’m just tired.” I lied, checking my watch for the time. The door whipped open and Lacey and Sam stood in my view, “Ah Jace, I gotta go, I’ll text you later.” I hung up the phone and stood up.

“You’re good.” Lacey notified me, “There’s a few rules you girls need to know. No back talk, never, or you will regret it. You can only use your phones in your room, unless he isn’t around.” We nodded, “Okay, come on!” She put on her fake cheery face and led us out of the room. A man, who looked about forty, stood in the living room dressed in a suit and tie. “Girls, this is Daniel, Daniel, this is Riley and Samantha.” I looked over to Sam who had the same look of confusion on her face, he didn’t look like a guy who would that to Lacey. She caught my glance and just shrugged, sticking her hand out for the man to shake it. He looked so gentle?

“Was your mother expecting a boy? Riley… What a shame of a name.” Ouch. I went to open my mouth, then remembering the first rule I quickly shut my mouth. “Is she a mute?”

“No, just a little shy, right Riley?” Sam spoke up, saving my ass.

“Yes, sorry.” I stuttered.

“Fix your stuttering problem.” He snapped, ripping off his blazer and throwing it onto Lacey. “What’s for dinner hunny?”

“Your favorite!” Lacey cheered, dancing to the kitchen with her husband.

“Wow.” Sam muttered. I sighed and left the living room to re-enter my room.

I rushed to the dining room when I realized it was already passed five o’clock. The three of them sat around a square dining room table, Daniels head immediately shot up from his steak and his eyes cut into my skin. “You’re late.” He began to stand up when Lacey interfered.

“Daniel no!” She grabbed his arm and tried to keep him down.  “Please no.”

“She was late Lacey.” He growled, throwing her hand off of him. “You know what happens when someone is late.”

“Yes but she doesn’t Dan, she doesn’t deserve it. Everyone deserves a second chance.

“It’ll either be her, or you.”

“Please no.” Lacey trembled.

“W-What is happening?” I began to back away, the wall blocking my freedom. “Please don’t.” I looked over to Sam, whose eyes were watery and body full of pure shock.

Daniel stepped closer and closer to me, holding a wine glass in his hand. “Don’t be late.” Glass shattered on the side of my face, the collision threw me to the ground.

“Riley?” Sam sat on the edge of my bed, stroking my knotty brown hair. An ice pack was laid on the side of my face, the pain just missing my eye. “Before you freak out, you cannot call the cops. He has something on Lacey that could also send her to jail.” Sam rushed.

“Are you kidding me!? We don’t even know Lacey, who cares if she gets thrown in a cell also! It would save our lives!”

“Riley please just calm down, I’ve known Lacey a lot longer than you, where do you think I went when you and mom would fight for hours? She used to live down the road and she’s the only one that has been there for me. You have to listen to me.”

“Why would she go to jail?”

“She killed her child.”

“What the hell!? And you don’t want her to go to jail for that?”

“He was trying to kill her, stab her right in the heart. Her only self-defense was to fight back.”

“Sam… We can’t live like this.” I rubbed my hand over my wound; I could feel multiple cuts and a bruise rising, just like Lacey had.

“They’re going to find mom, and we can go home, then we’ll encourage Lacey to come live with us. Please Riley, believe in me.” Sam pleaded, grasping onto one of my hands.

“If he hurts you Sam, I will call the cops.” I stroked her fragile hand, “I love you too much to see you hurt.” Sam nodded.

“Are you going to school tomorrow?” She asked, changing the subject, “Lacey said you can use her car.”

“I guess it depends on my face and if I can cover it up.” Sam nodded, standing up.

“I better get to bed; Daniel doesn’t like us up in the hallways past nine.”

Once Sam left, I pulled out my phone and dialed Jace’s number.

“Hey babe.” I closed my eyes at the sound of his voice, trying to forget about my surroundings and only think of him, “How are you?”

“Lovely.” I gulped at the biggest lie I had ever said. Truth was, I was far from okay, and all I wanted in this moment was him.