Part 10

“What the hell happened to your face!?” The tall boy cupped my chin in his hands examining the cut that escaped the makeup. The school was chaotic this morning and I could hardly hear him even when yelling.

“I fell down.” I reassured, “No need to worry.” I pulled his hand down from my face and tangled my fingers into his.

“I swear to god if someone hit you I will kill them.” He clenched his jaw like he always did when he was angry, “Not even kidding, I will beat him until his heart stops.” I stayed silent. “I don’t want anybody, or anything marking up your beautiful face.”  He stopped by someone’s locker and twirled me to face him, “even though nothing could make you look bad.” A smile crept on my face as Jace bent over and lightly brushed my sore with his lips, almost like a butterfly sweeping across my face. Shivers were sent across my body, Jace was the first guy I had ever been this close with and every little thing he does gives me butterflies. I swung my arms around his neck and he pulled me into a tight hug. I never wanted to let go.

“Same thing applies to you.” I finally responded. I wanted to punch myself so hard, was I really that unromantic!? “I’m sorry, I can do much better.” I apologized, avoiding eye contact. Jace chuckled, I could feel his eyes on me, “You just make me…” I stopped before I could embarrass myself even more. He could do so much better than me…

“I make you what?”

“Nervous.” I muttered, still holding onto him.

“There’s no reason to be nervous babe. Oh, and on that note I have something to ask you.” He let go of me and I stood in front of him in anticipation, “I know this is really last minute, but there’s a dance tonight, I’m not really into that type of stuff but I think I would really enjoy it with you by my side.” My heart jumped. Did Jace Winters just ask me out…? Jace Winters, the ‘baddest boy’ in school along with his crew, the hottest boy in school, the boy who stole my heart. “I-It’s the winter formal so it’s kind of a big deal.” He stuttered, “At least that’s what I think. I don’t really know…”

“Jace will you please shut up so I can say yes?” I joked, saving the nervous boy.

“You’re saying yes?” His eyes brightened.

“Any girl in this damn school would be saying yes to you.” I said, starting to walk to first class.

“You see Riley,” He stopped me again, “No other girls matter. Only you.” Josh and the others came up to the two of us, “So I’ll pick you up at seven? Where at?”

“I’ll be at Kat’s!” I planned.

“Great, Isaac’s going with Kat so he can tag along and we can pick her up as well!” I nodded and departed from the group of boys, I wasn’t comfortable when he was with them.

**

“KAT!” I whined, trying on yet another dress that looked horrid on me. “I look like a mermaid.” The fabric hugged my hips and legs too tightly that it was nearly impossible for me to dance in.

“Oh good, because I just found the perfect one!” She cheered, “Black is not your color…” she mentioned at the site of me.

“I figured that one out.” I laughed, staring at the horrible mess of a dress on me. I caught Kat’s reflection in the mirror holding up the cutest dress ever. I squealed and quickly ran back into the change room. I emerged just seconds later and looked at myself in the mirror. It was a short strapless pastel pink dress with loose ruffles on the bottom portion. A skinny soft pink belt was buckled with a bejeweled bow, and the top had a silver vine like pattern on top of the light pink fabric. I was in awe. It was cute, not ‘sexy’ or ‘hot’ but cute, and that’s exactly how I wanted to look, I was just worried that this isn’t what Jace is expecting.