Chapter Four: Together

March 10, 1917

A hospital. Wanda found herself in the long corridor of a hospital. The teal tiled walls reflected off the shine from the floor beneath her feet while the lights beamed bright, making Wanda hold her hand over her scarlet eyes as if the sun was blinding her. The hallway itself was empty, down the hall a ways you could see it open up into a larger room with  nurses and people walking around. It took Wanda a moment before she got her footing and slowly moved herself forward, trails of red mist dissipated as she walked across the marble. This wasn't the first time she walked through someone's mind, HYDRA played with the idea when she was young, but the witch was not yet strong enough. "For infiltrating purposes." They would tell her, she would be their secret weapon. She sure remembered the beatings she received for not yet being strong enough to fully finish a job while mind walking. Pietro would let her practice on him, but that wasn't fair. Wanda knew everything about her brother, plus being the only human she trusted at the time, it was very easy to get into his mind. It was always easy when the mind was willing. 

As the hallway opened up she found herself in the middle of the bustle, not sure where she landed in the soldiers timeline. "Doctor, room 11. Mrs. Barnes is ready to push." The name caught Wanda's attention, as she hurriedly followed the doctor through the hospital. They passed children who were crying, lovers holding hands, and families saying their goodbyes. Wanda didn't like hospitals much, too much sadness. In the room a very pregnant woman lay on the bed before them, she was beautiful. Dark chocolate hair cascaded down her back and fluttered over her shoulders, matting to her pale forehead with sweat. This was Bucky's mother, she could tell, they looked very much alike. "Mrs. Barnes, are you ready to meet your baby?" The woman was breathing heavily, trying to compose herself before she let out a scream as the pain invaded her. "YES YES!" It didn't take long, some pushing and a lot more screams, finally the doctor held up a crying baby, Wanda smiled bright. "It's a boy! He's got your eyes." Wanda didn't realize at first that the only people in the room was the doctor, nurse, and Mrs. Barnes. "Your husband will be thrilled ma'am." The nurse leaned over the bed to hand the mother her child after they cleaned him up. Although the happiness was pouring out of her face, Wanda couldn't help but notice a hint of sadness in the mother's eyes. Scarlett dances around the room as Wanda left. 

August 1936

A graveyard. The smell of freshly cut grass filled the witch's nostrils, it was sweet and lively. Gray stones littered the earth around her as Wanda passed her eyes around looking for familiarities. To the East a group of people gathered as a funeral was taking place. "Sarah Rogers was loved...is loved. Never has a person touched so many lives. She was quite the wife, and mother." The man speaking locked eyes with a young man, one Wanda recognized. A young Captain America. "Sickness is something that..." Wanda's ear trailed away from the speech as she found a young Bucky Barnes stood close to his friend, his hand on his back. The young men were very handsome, clearly some heartbreakers in their time. The funeral was soon over, many tears shed, but Wanda didn't stay long, she followed the two men slowly as they left the graveyard. "Thank you Buck, but I can get by on my own." The young Steve Rogers was looking for his keys as he listened to his friend speak. His young friend placed a hand on his shoulder,  "The thing is, you don't have to. I'm with you to the end of the line, pal." Wanda bit her lip, watching this deep moment. "To the end of the line," rattled in her mind as she disappeared in a puff of scarlet. 

November 1937

In a classroom littered with students Wanda found herself admiring some art pieces that hung on the walls. "Steve! Come on man, think about it! We can do this, together." The two young friends were seated together at a table, Barnes was sitting on top, looking down at his friends with hopeful eyes. "Alright! Together." Two eager boys, excited to join the war. "Yes! Alright, so after training that the gym we're going, no excuses." Scarlet swirled the air.

"4F." Wanda watched the two young men as they sat next to one another on a bench, the walls around them a deep wood, the floor a glossy marble. Steve's face was sad while Barnes held a stern expression. "I'm sorry my friend." They sat in silence for a moment before the young Captain spoke up, his words heavy, "How are we suppose to do this together?" Scarlet.

107th Infantry Regiment, a couple years later. 

"Sergeant!" A man called over toward Wanda's direction making her turn around to see a nicely aged James Barnes standing in front of her, for a moment she thought he was looking at her, his face confused at her image. "Sergeant!" This broke his eyes as he jogged away, kicking up dust as his boots scuffed across the dry ground. Following, the witch found Barnes stop at a group of guys, the men were pushing and shoving a scrawny white boy around, yelling obscenities at him. The scene in front of her was a bit shocking, this was her Captain. As the moment played out and Bucky showed the bullies a bit of who was boss, sending them on their way with their tails between their legs, a sudden realization came over her...Steve would't be who he was today if it wasn't for his best friend. "This isn't a back alley, Steve. It's war! Why are you so keen to fight? There are so many important jobs." Scarlet. 

November 1943 

Wanda was running after a much larger Steve Rogers, clearly now taking on the title of Captain America. This was the Steve she knew and loved. The Captain was freeing prisoners, from what she could tell. Things were happening so fast Wanda had a hard time following the Captain, when she finally found him again he was standing in front of a roughed up Bucky, both men housing a smirk on their faces. "I thought you were dead." Steve held out a hand to his dear friend, to help him up. "I thought you were smaller." Scarlet.

Killian Pub, sometime after.

The room was packed with soldiers and pretty girls alike, laughing and having a good time. The man behind the counter was making drinks at a steady pace while music filled the room. "You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?" Two familiar faces sat in the back, drinks in hand. "Hell, no. That little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb to run away from a fight, I'm following him." With a clank of their glasses Wanda left.

February 1945

Wanda watched as Captain America fought a heavily armed man, her instincts drove her to want to help, but she remembered where she was, and how it would have no effect. The snow outside was heavy, the wind blowing high. Wanda examined the man whom was losing the fight...HYDRA. Something inside of her turned as her fists clenched she felt her body tense. In that time Steve helped his friend, the moments passing quickly, Wanda began to lose focus a bit. Back in the lab Steve watched as Wanda began spitting many Russian words out of her mouth. T'Challa crossed his arms, worried, "What's going on?!" Steve knew, guilt washed over him as it never crossed his mind how she would take seeing any sort of relation to HYDRA. "I'm sorry Wanda." Wanda stood on a fast moving train watching the men. No, this wasn't where she needed to be, but perhaps learning more about his past would help in the long run. A decision Steve and her made. T'Challa wanted her to dive right in, but they both knew what the King didn't know wouldn't hurt him. Suddenly her heart ached as Bucky was shot again, his eyes dancing around as pain took over him. Rogers took down the soldier that shot hit friend before running over to desperately try and rescue Barnes as he hung off a rail on the side of the train. "You have to hold on Buck, please!"Steve reached to grab his friends hand, but there was not enough time. Wanda and Steve watched as Bucky fell into an icy river below. Wanda felt her scarlet eyes water.

Wanda raced, trying to find a time in Barnes's life that she strongly wanted to skip, but knew she could not.