{8} Fire N Gold

It had taken every ounce of my being not to stir last night after Benji's shocking statement. I had been wide awake for the remainder of the night, replaying his words in my mind until I couldn't take it any longer, and surprised Sabrina by waking up extra early.

Hanging her keys on the hook by the door, she turned to me as I took a seat on the bar stool.

"Wow, usually you're still asleep when I get here," Sabrina remarked, sliding out of her winter jacket. "Couldn't sleep?"

I nodded and my face flushed in embarrassment. Sabrina's full lips parted as she openly stared at me. After finding her voice, she blurted, "What did you two do?"

My hands shot up in mock surrender as I waved them around, denying, "No-nothing. We didn't do anything."

Sabrina smiled sweetly, but didn't comment as she pulled a box of cereal from the cabinet. Holding the box in scrutiny, Sabrina squinted at it and offered, "Want some Crispy Rice?"

"Isn't it Rice Krispies?"

Sabrina laughed, jabbing a finger at the box. "This is a knockoff brand. I can't afford to accommodate Benji and myself with only my salary."

"Oh."

She shrugged indifferently. "I don't mind working; I love my job. It's just," she hushed, cautiously glancing at her brother's sleeping form, "I can't provide for Benji for forever."

Slightly veering the conversation off course and into safer territory, I asked, "What's your job?"

Sabrina's light brown eyes softened and became distant as she clasped her hands together, replying, "I deliver babies. It's such a beautiful experience."

I really don't know much about Sabrina or Benji, I realized, yet, I'm living with them.

"Do you know what you want to do in the future?" She queried, pouring the cheap cereal into two bowls.

I paused. "I can't go to college," I admitted, "Jackson's mother is my legal guardian, but I'm already eighteen and she can't afford the expenses. I don't have a job--or a family--and I won't ever be able to pay off the loans and debts."

Sabrina's face melted in sympathy as she placed a bowl of cereal in front of me. "What about scholarships and financial aid?" She brought up.

"My grades reflected how I felt; they suffered right alongside me. If anything, I'd have to apply to a community college."

Sabrina frowned, biting her lip. "I hate to bring this up, and you don't have to answer if you aren't comfortable," she said, "but did your parents leave any money behind?"

"It was divided among my family members. Most went to my brother, Leo, and-"

"Did you say your brother's name was Leo?" Sabrina interrupted as her face paled.

"Yes," I admitted, skeptically asking, "Why?"

After a few seconds, she got a hold of herself and shook her head. She muttered something under her breath before uttering, "Sorry, the name sounded familiar for a second."

"It's okay. He was on television often for boxing. Actually, remember the competition that those sports commentators were talking about the other day?" I asked rhetorically.