{12} Just Give Me a Reason

My jaw dropped in awe as I stood dumbfounded, staring at Benji's outstretched finger targeted straight for me.

"Me?" I asked incredulously as I jabbed a finger at my chest for good measure.

Benji nodded slowly, saying, "Yes. You know a lot about the sport, don't you?"

I stuttered, "W-Well yeah, but what about your coach from before? You should've had one when you used to compete."

"He wouldn't...he's irrelevant now. I'll participate in the boxing tournament and you'll be my coach. Sound good?" He asked, leaving no room for arguments.

"I guess so," I hesitantly agreed, "but only because you taught my brother. I could tell how much he loved boxing, and I guess I have you to thank for that."

"Don't thank me," he growled.

Sabrina rushed over to her brother and squeezed his shoulder, smiling apologetically at me for his angered tone. "He doesn't mean that," she assured, trying to diffuse the situation before it were to escalate.

Benji rudely smacked Sabrina's hand away, shouting, "Why does everyone try to speak for me? Carlos did the same thing and now you are, too. Just let me say what I need to say."

Sabrina backed away, raising her hands in mock surrender as she frowned, deciding, "I'll just, uh, go home now."

"Benji," I tried, drawing his attention to myself as Sabrina scurried out the door, "Have you ever participated in this tournament before? It won't be an easy feat, especially since you haven't boxed since...since Leo died."

Benji's hazel eyes softened and his shoulders slumped as he let out a haggard breath. He shoved the sleeves of his black thermal shirt to his elbows, showing the impressive tattoos inked over the bare skin.

"I've been to so many competitions that I lost count of the number just a few years into my career," he responded, neglecting to answer my question.

"Really?" I wondered, traversing the room with my eyes for any signs of previous wins. "Where are your trophies or medals?"

Benji laughed humorlessly, admitting, "I threw them all out. I'd been hellbent on destroying any memories that I had of the sport. I'd even lost myself in the process."

Clasping my hands together, I tucked my dark bangs behind an ear, and said, "Well, I found you. Let's make up for those trophies that you got rid of."

Benji gave me a faint smile. "And for the ones Leo would have been winning," he added.

I felt tears spring to my eyes as my vision blurred while I focused on the ring around my finger. Benji and I didn't have to discuss the thoughts clouding our minds for in that moment, I knew we were thinking the same thing.

We were both going to get through this. We'd do it for ourselves, but most importantly, for Leo.

The scars on my wrists were reminders that I was still alive; that as long as I became stronger, I'd survive, and Benji would, too.

Jumping enthusiastically to my feet, I said, "Alright. Let's get started."

**************